Home Marmoset

Workflow for baking an object with multiple material IDs?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ryebot polycounter lvl 5
I know that mamoset recognizes objects with multiple material IDs, but when it comes to baking them, everything gets sandwiched into one map.

Obviously I could break up the pieces of the mesh and re-import, but is there a workflow to do it without needing to separate the object? Just curious.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Multiple material IDs are not currently supported in the baker, however, this is something we would like to add in a future update.

The typical workaround would be to have multiple baker objects in your scene, and make sure that the lowpoly objects for each do not have overlapping uvs. So generally you would want to offset or not include any uvs that don't apply to the material ID you're baking for that object.
  • ryebot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryebot polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks, @EarthQuake. Is there a way then to tell it which material ID to bake for? I would assume it both bakers would just bake whatever islands are in the 0-1 space?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, there are no material ID specific settings for the baker currently. It will simply bake whatever is in the 0-1 space for the low poly mesh(es).