Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] Character Art- Riven, the Exciled

MonkTiger
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
MonkTiger vertex
What would an exiled character look like? 
A character whose moral destroyed, and identity lost?
Self-proclaimed dead, with broken sword representing her lost spirit?
Stubborn and self-reliant. In the search for her new self. In search of new sets of principles.

What would a character look like, if she was betrayed by her own country - which she sworn to serve? 
And these oaths she took- she shatters it, despite her stubbornness? 

Riven, for me, is a compelling character whose moral and principles reflected those of mine.
I have played League of Legends years ago. Coming back to the game as an artist has been a remarkable experience.

It has been an honor to be able to go back to my almost childhood game and recreate my favorite character.  

I looked at Noxian armor and their shape language. I thought that, If she hated her own country... then her armor would reflect that. There  should be some traces of these languages but replaced later on after she exiles herself. She is nimble and strong; so I thought her armor would be light in the areas she deems not important, and heavy vice versa.
I also looked at Yasuo as sort of visual language queue. Thus came out her hair. 

I feel that her sword is a very mysterious weapon. It uses Runic magic- which in the world of Runetera, it is a very rare and ancient. I feel that this is where her power could be tapped from- a source of magical power, she yet does not know she had. The power of runes, ancient but unleashed when her true power is released during combat (her ultimate ability).

I looked at DawnBringer skin of Riven as a basis for her proportion and anatomy.
If Riven could potentially get a rework done (as Riot had hinted numerous in the past)... what would she look like? 

I hope this concept do justice.

Here's a rudimentary Maya->Zbrush block out. 

The back is going to be a cape/cloth. Just a primitive block out for now.
Playing with shapes.

Trying to imagine what it would look like from ortho perspective. So far... it's hard to tell, as I designed her thinking she would be on a posed squad most of the time.

Not sure how to feel about her lower body. It feels too bulky, I might back to give it more *zap* later on during high poly polish/details. 

For the future- I am planning on designing her ultimate form as well. That'll be fun.

What a project. Learning tons!

Replies