Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylised PBR Arsenal Environment WIP

Hey,
I'm back with another project of mine. This one though Is very early in development and I'm in the process of learning new programs. It is going to be a small environment, more like a vignette or diorama of sorts which will include multiple assets and a variety of materials. I'll use this topic to share some of my work and experiments, thoughts and maybe even pocesses so please do ask questions and feel free to express your thoughts below :)

My most recent experiment was a brick wall entirely done in Substance Designer. I'm not sure if its going to end up in my final environment but it looks fairly close to finished so here it is.

The image above is an Iray render from substance designer, I'm not sure how to render materials yet. Below Is an OpenGL render also from designer.

I'm thinking the roughness needs some sharper changes now that I look at it.

Replies

• Krystian_Zem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm here with my first update which contains another stone wall and previous texture rework.

Tessellation in Substance Designer peaked my interest recently so I've have researched into Displacement Mapping/Tesselation and it seems its not very widely used in the game industry mainly due to it's demand to use high poly geometry. What a shame. I was wondering If its possible to create a high poly using your height map (displacement) and then retopo to make it less demanding but I just couldnt find an answer. I'd love to know if its possible, and if its used then what would be the name of such a workflow? I really wanted to use that for this environment project. Please correct me if im wrong here.

Without further ado here are the images:

I tweaked mainly the colours, highlights are no longer faked through the diffuse/colour map. The brick's normals are sharper now and the roughness is more noisy and sharp to show up under less extreme angles.

And the new material:

Actually I havent used much real life ref for this so I'm not even sure what kind of stone it is I'd say it was a big mistake. Limestone?

Just as before, please do ask questions. I like chatting and seeing your oppinion (no matter how harsh) so dont be shy to comment express your thoughts below :smile: 
  • Krystian_Zem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some days ago I have finally decided upon the theme of my little environment if you can call it that. Its going to be an old weapon storage or more like a part of it. Its also set in the future. I initially started with simple boxes but once I was happy with my composition and the box proportions I began to model the visible assets.

I probably should have showed that first but here is my environment blockout:

I have used 3Ds Max for both the blockout and the modeling. The assets below are mid-poly almost ready to be Open-Subdivided. At first i thought the scene needs more round objects so I added the pipe, right next to the wall above and a round asset. I'm going to keep the pipe but that liquid container just looks weird and it broke my composition.