Home Adobe Substance

Changing the colour of an already painted stencil?

Danface
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Danface polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys, 

I'm about to start stenciling a whole bunch of text over an asset and at the moment, it seems very much permanent and if changes need to be done, it needs to be restenciled. Which makes sense but in terms of colour, is there a way I can change the colour of the stencil without altering anything else? Much like cover overlay in photoshop.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Put the text in a mask 
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Or put a filter to alter the color like the color balance/ hue saturation etc to the layer.
  • Danface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @poopipe the only mask options are black, white, bitmap and with colour selection which needs an ID map. Are those the ones you were talking about?

@Revel I've got filters for the balance and sat but that only brighten or darkens the colour so I can have a bright red become a red wine red and so on. I haven't been able to find anything that can turn one colour into another without redoing the stencil
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hmm strange that here I can colorize my layer, even from a black to bright pink for example. My stacks are from bottom to top; Contrast Luminosity (to brighten up the value to at least greyscale), Color Balance (so to introduce some color value, doesn't really matter what color as long as it has some hue value), HSL Perceptive (this filter that actually control the color hue/ saturation/ value).
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    You paint into the mask and it masks things. I assume itd work with however you're stencilling the text. 

That would be the most flexible option as it allows you to change the full material rather than dicking around with filters
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    If you want your decal to be flat color then sure, simply paint a mask on a fill layer. Beginner stuff. But when you want to do more custom decal and actually project a picture of a poster with some graphic/ photos in it, then it's kinda stupid to draw all the graphics/ pictures/ photos/ etc in Painter, unless you going for a hand painted stuff :smile:
  • Danface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @poopipe @Revel I'm using it for text that looks like it has been stickered on so it looks slightly raised through normals. I'll have another fiddle with both solutions :)
  • Danface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Revel it is indeed the HSL perspective filter that changes the colour. I had only tried using the Colour Balance and Colour Correction and it didn't change anything except the vibrance of the colour so thank you :)
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Danface said:
    @poopipe @Revel I'm using it for text that looks like it has been stickered on so it looks slightly raised through normals. I'll have another fiddle with both solutions :)
    Then you can do exactly as revel says, simply enable the height channel in the fill layer