Home Adobe Substance

Some noob questions.

GIS3000
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
GIS3000 polycounter lvl 13
hi everyone, 

I'm noticing  some weird artifacts on my Material view. Any explanation for this? 

During project setup, I chose a non PBR material. The spec gloss one.

I also baked my normal map in xnormal. When brought into unity, they look perfect. After all, both of them use Mikk Tangent space normal maps. If I'm not mistaken, so does Painter. So why are there artifacts? Is due to the fact that I'm using obj files?

thanks
GIS3000

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    This looks like a driver issue, could you attach a  log file?
  • GIS3000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the exported log  text file.

Here's a close up of the artifacts.

Thanks for Replying. I'm trying to get into Substance painter now. Its as important as zbrush it seems.

regards
  • GIS3000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Jerc,

I was wondering....

I noticed that the normal maps baked and exported in Substance painter were almost identical to those created in Xnormal. I checked them out by overlaying them in photoshop.

However, when I imported the normal map, it did not display properly in the painter view port.

In fact, when I imported the very normal map created in Painter, exported and then re-imported, the normal map did not display correctly either.

Is the viewer's tangent space calculation different from Mikk Tspace?

thanks for your time
    GIS3000

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Everything is based off MikkT in Substance Painter. What kind of issue do you see on the normal?

When it comes to the artefacts in the 3D view, it is likely due to your GPU which barely meets the minimum requirements for SP in terms of model, and is below the minimum 2GB of vram. Unfortunately you can try switching to other driver versions and see if it gets better but you would be better off with a more recent GPU.
  • GIS3000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply. I'll look into getting a better GPU.
     As for the normal map issue, I've got it solved. Thanks.

Regards
    GIS3000
  • GIS3000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Jeremie ,

I just noticed something regarding the strange artifacts in the material window.

The noise appears only on these shaders. 

Dota2
    , Non-pbr-spec-Gloss  and pbr-Velvet

The noise is nonexistent on the other shaders. Solo mode (Hitting the "C" key) also removes it.

Regards
    GIS3000
  • GIS3000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone.

More noob questions here.

Does the Glow Filter function have an "Inner Glow" option? Just like Photoshop's layer blend. And is there a way to get the glow filter to follow the mask and not be covered up by it? Just like in photoshop?

And is there a way to project an image or alpha, right though the mesh? Pretty useful for panel lines which wrap around the model. Kinda like zbrush projection master's double sided option?

Any plans for a zbrush type selection and masking? You know, like lasso, marquee and blurring/sharpening?

Are there plans to improve the clone tool? It seems pretty bad when it comes to removing seams. 3DS max's viewport canvas does a pretty good job in this respect. But painter's brushes are pretty good.

So far, the only way that I know which can generate a gradient a cross the mesh is to use a grey scale generator a gradient filter and a position map. Is there a better way? Anything like 3DS max's viewport canvas gradient tool?

In the standard fill layer, is it possible to adjust the levels of the roughness texture and metallic texture? It seems that I can only adjust the Base color. Whats the way to go about doing this?

Regards
    GIS3000
  • GIS3000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • GIS3000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumped, again.

Thanks everyone.