Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking to find out how I can improve after my first hi-poly sculpt

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
Here's some photo's of my first hi-poly sculpt (clarification -- first character sculpt)

I've been going through the process of turning this into a game character, and now that I've come to the map baking I seem to have a whole list of problems plaguing me. Being a noob, it is hard to know what to do. I mean, the model looks good to me. It's not perfect or stunning or anything, but I feel like it looks as good as plenty of models you see in games. Am I completely wrong, or have I just erred in a few important places?

Should I scrap this and make another? Or go back, fix some issues, and finish this out?

It seems I'm at a point where I've learned just about everything I can from Pluralsight tutorials, but everything else out there either seems redundant over way over my head. Thus, any help is really appreciated here.

Done in Zbrush, Maya, and Marvelous Designer

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Some specific questions:

Does having such deep folds necessitate more resolution in my game model? Should I make them more shallow?

The clipping issues on the bandana, is that something that will screw up map baking? And on the hi poly model, the inside of the collar is backfaces. That is probably an issue too, right? It will need to be double sided?

• Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    First of all you need to study anatomy to get better with character design. And study pictures of clothing to understand how they fold realistically. In pluralsight I found out that lee magalhaes has the best anatomy tutorials, but you have to sit through them. Anyway that is only the artistic side. For now I would worry less about the folds looking real and the human anatomy, and get down to the technical side, to get familiar with.

Did you retopologise the character? Did you bake normal map? Are you sure your bandana has UV? If you have a normal map there are quite a few errors that might have happened, like the high polly was intersecting with the low poly or the inner folds could not be seen by the ray casting since it goes in a straight line. For this you would propably need a well made cage, or a different way of creating it.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Hey there ,

You could run a second pass on her face and arms adjusting proportion/planes and over all beautifying them 
    About your fabric question : if this is suppose to be military fatigue you need more thickness and less stretch - right now is look more like velvet or satin then thick military cloth (Cotton / Polyester Material)
    Everything that clip on itself will produce artefacts when you bake maps 
    You can easily fix the collar by extruding few more rows down the neck till they are visible any more