Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Courtney Sikora Randolph

Hello!
I'm trying to put myself out there, show my progress, and possibly get noticed. I started this bandit camp scene for my Environment Artist Bootcamp at the Game Art Institute. The concept art is by Sergey Shilkin. I'm open to criticism, whether it's for how to take the best progress shots or if there's a way to better my work. I would also like to note that I was trying to learn Maya at the beginning of this, but then decided to switch back to 3DS Max after the High Poly was complete.

The first part was figuring out how I was going to tackle this. There isn't much looking at it. It's very two dimensional. You can't see what the place is made out of except for a lot of corrugated metal, and you can't even tell if there's even an inside. So I interpreted my own version of how the scene would look like in 3D space. The structure itself is a large shipping container. I figured I would create holes in it which were give the junk a reason to be there. Once I knew that I just had to position everything in a way that made sense compared to the 2D concept. I matched it up perfectly.

After that, I had to adjust to make up for perspective before moving on. For the high poly, I wanted to start with the smaller details. The dangling chains, chain link fence, and the metal pieces.

After that, I decided to work on the large parts of the decor, including the shipping container itself (holes and crack included), the army style chest, barrels, and door that I interpreted as a car door due to the lighting from the concept art. I also thought it was an interesting prop, so I went with it. 

I finished up the high poly and threw it into Marmoset, just to see how things looked. 

I actually did this a little later, and it slowed down my pace, but I wasn't happy about the high poly cow skull, and decided to put it into ZBrush and sculpted it. Keep in mind, I'm still learning ZBrush.

I didn't take as many process pics of the low poly, and also I keep going back and forth between the high poly and the low poly and the UVs, nitpicking certain things (such as the cow skull), and forgetting certain things (such as the electricity warning sign). I also experimented with Marvelous Designer with the flag, which is currently in my low poly scene at the moment. But here's my LP currently:

I also set up the UE4 for my model. I went ahead and sculpted the landscape (it's a flat desert, but I added some variation) and built what I could of the lighting.

That's where I am currently. The UVs aren't ready for posting yet, as I'm still tinkering with things, but I'll post them soon. If you would like a better look at things for criticism, let me know. I'd also eventually like to fill the shipping container with things, but that's low priority. 
Feel free to give me tips, tricks, and opinions. This is a portfolio piece, specifically for getting my first job in the industry, so anything helpful is welcome.