Home Unreal Engine

weird shading error, might be scaling. Not sure? relatively new to this

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
pmiller001 greentooth
Sup gang, so as the title says.  I have a weird shading error on my model upon import. 
Me thinks its due to a scaling issue, because my fbx files that i was using happened to be different sizes. (example. one was at a global scale of 1, and the other was at the scale of .01, not sure why. But i think i can figure that part out). So my question is, how do i fix this?  I didnt get too much time to try and fix it last night, but what i tried was
-scaling my mesh up, then frezing transformation and running a clean up action. 
-also i tried exporting an fbx, and then importing it into unreal. That "worked." but the mesh came in at the wrong scale., even after i transformed it. 

Not sure if its worth mentioning but this character i s made of multiple items that I merged together. Not sure if thats the problem?

At the time of writing this though i'm just no realizing that, the only part of the mesh that didn't have any problems were the parts that i assigned to new uvs sets. I guess I'll try that when i get home too. Any input would be appreciated. I'll post here as soon as i find the issue and solve it. 

also if my terminology is wack please let me know. Its difficult to communicate the error when I dont know the proper terms for it haha. 

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Looks like its just not unwrapped, or your uvmap got messed up somehow.

Its the default checker material stretching on it.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Wow, well thats weird. I'm not sure how that could have happened.  Has that happened to you on import? Because to my knowledge I havent done anything other than export my mesh, and then try to import it. 
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    It happened to me a couple of times. From what I can tell this is specific to fbx. Try exporting out your mesh as obj, then putting it back and exporting an fbx.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    ah ok. so i'll have to try export-obj, import-obj, export fbx. I'll give it a shot sir when i get home. THanks homie
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    SO the "solution" i found was to
    -make a whole new uv map. 
    -Put all the uvs on to that one map
    -export the fbx as unreal static (2018) instead of using the modo bridge. 
    -Works like a charm. 
    I dont know if thats the most accurate way of accomplishing this, becausei bet unreal has a way to use multiple uvs haha. 
    I think this is mostly my fault, and i probably did something wrong down the pipeline so. Go figure?