Home Technical Talk

Polycount?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Moety polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys n gals, I've just started working on a project, I haven't really done a lot of enviroment building before so I had a few questions regarding polycount.
What I'm planning on building is a street consisting roughly of 40 buildings, one main character, and i might end up throwing in some ''minions.''
I'm aware that most triple A characters (main) consist of 15-30k tris, but I'm not sure what the restrictions are on buildings and props.

I'm not planning on making it possible to interact with the building i.e walk inside them. They'll most likely just be one ''face.''
I can't really think straight or word this very well. Hopefully my question comes across.

Replies

• Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    The polycount can vary, depending on SOOOOooo much elements:
    1) whats the aimed platform? PC, console, mobile?
    2) Reeeeaally important: what shaders do you use?

Nowadays polycount is not often the problem in the performances, most of the time texture size, bad batching or bad shaders is....
  • Moety
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moety polycounter lvl 3
    Olingova said:
    The polycount can vary, depending on SOOOOooo much elements:
    1) whats the aimed platform? PC, console, mobile?
    2) Reeeeaally important: what shaders do you use?

Nowadays polycount is not often the problem in the performances, most of the time texture size, bad batching or bad shaders is....
    Aimed platform is PC i guess? I'm not making a game, more of a ''walking simulator.''
    I was planning on building it in Unity.
    And by shaders i'm not 100% sure what you mean, but PBR?
    I'll be making use of normal maps, ambient occulsion, diffuse, I'll probably try to get some lighting and atmospheric fog thrown in for good measure.
    Like I said, this is kinda new for me. So far I've basically stuck to basic modelling and texturing.
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    On PC and for a walking simulator, trust me you dont really care about the polycount :) dont use a shitload of highpoly either, but dont restrain yourself. You will if you ll have problem later. By shader i mean materials you use (For example Unity bumped diffuse is a kinf of shader applied on a material) every shader got its own perf cost. All the transparent shaders can but wayyyy heavier (in a game, going in a forest environment usually slows down your perfs because of that for example). Maybe you could post some first screens to have an idea of the amount of detail you can add in the geometry :)

Optimizing the perf depends on a lot of things. Basically i already created some scene that were not running at 20fps jsut because i messed up my environment and that each piece of modular (it was a big one) had their own set of 2k textures, making the streaming pool explode :p i firsst tought it was the polycount obviously but no, again it was the use i made of materials nd texture.. You also got to think in term of vertex engine: every vertex can weight more in the engine dependind on different things; harden edge double them, so does an UV cut and so does a multi material object.

Well i'm not a professional tech artist but if you want it will be my pleasure to try to help you with that!

It will help me to confirm some knowledge im not sure about and maybe it ll teach you some things. Hopefully more skilled people will come to help aswell
  • Eric Chadwick