Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment art the Mill (work in progress) Help!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
halldor polycounter lvl 6

textures substance painter & substance designer
models with Maya
foliage: mega-scan. 

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    It may need some sort of story element.  Something to place this in something more than just a "look," but a "purpose" as well.
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    Ya definitely story, and location/setting? Where is this supposed to be. And I think its interesting that you chose not to include the front of the windmill which is admittedly the most interesting part in  your shot... :sweat:
    Maybe go back to the drawing board on this one, and work out a pleasing composition and shot /w blockout before even thinking about detailing.
  • halldor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i guess i should have think little bit more about the end result right in the beginning  but are you say i should just trow it in the trash and start over or just figure out more pleasing composition . 

but i am not sure about the story was thinking about just abounded windmill who had already lost his purpose 

but honestly is my brick texture and my assets alright  ?

• halldor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is this working better ?

or i should i just start over and plan it better ?
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    I dont think you need to throw it out. Lets take a few steps back though. Do you have a reference for the windmill? Where is that windmill from, what does the surrounding area/location in real life look like? Gather some reference of the location, the architecture. 

Gather some reference that will help inspire the type of mood, or any specific visual elements you want to include that cant be found in your location/time period/architecture reference.

Put it all together into a ref board (single image). 

This will  you gather your thoughts, and plan out the elements and style you want into this scene.

Once you've done that, start blocking in those elements, and create a few cameras/saved locations /w the FOV settings you want. Consider foreground/mid/background and your focal point, and create a nice composition around it. 

Block in the lighting as well, and consider positive/negative space in your block in that will create nice contrast of light/shadow and shapes.

Post your ref sheet and your blockout /w the compositions you created after all that, and then move forward on refining the elements.

Goodluck!
  • halldor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did update it my scane and i think its looks cool now