Home Unreal Engine

UE4 Editor Slow/Laggy - Impossible to use

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
shabba polycounter lvl 15
Problem:
Opening a brand new empty scene, I am unable to orbit the viewport, use the interface, or add objects without an insane amount of lag. 1-5fps if im lucky.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have researched everything, uninstalled any programs I thought might be conflicting from the "Software Conflicts" doc
I've uninstalled/reinstalled UE4 launcher, tried multiple version of Editor (4.11-4.18)
I've opened up all permissions for UE4 through firewall/antivirus
I've updated all bios and drivers for everything.

The only thing left to try is to disable Nvidia Optimus in the Bios setting, and then short of that... reformat to a completely clean PC and selectively install apps.

PC Specs:
GPU 1070
CPU i5-6400@2.7
Ram 32gb

DXDIAG:
See attached text file

Replies

• Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    We recently had an issue similar to this, try closing every window in the editor until there is only the main viewport window left. Once it's reduced down to just the one, the perf picked right back up for me.

Has this always been happening? Or did it start recently?
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like if your specs are right, you shouldnt have to make a change that drastic in order to use it?

Its always been happening unfortunately. It is the only application on my PC that has poor performance though. All games work fine, all other authoring applications work fine.
  • BlackFangTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba said:
    Problem:
    Opening a brand new empty scene, I am unable to orbit the viewport, use the interface, or add objects without an insane amount of lag. 1-5fps if im lucky.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have researched everything, uninstalled any programs I thought might be conflicting from the "Software Conflicts" doc
    I've uninstalled/reinstalled UE4 launcher, tried multiple version of Editor (4.11-4.18)
    I've opened up all permissions for UE4 through firewall/antivirus
    I've updated all bios and drivers for everything.

The only thing left to try is to disable Nvidia Optimus in the Bios setting, and then short of that... reformat to a completely clean PC and selectively install apps.

PC Specs:
    GPU 1070
    CPU i5-6400@2.7
    Ram 32gb

DXDIAG:
    See attached text file

According to your dxdiag, you are using 388.43. This is not supported by UE4. https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Platforms/Linux/BeginnerLinuxDeveloper/SupportedGfxDrivers/
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH Interesting! I'll get this tonight and try it out. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Except that page is for 4.13 and possibly linux. 
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PROBLEM SOLVED:
    It was a program conflict - I had a friend suggest going through the processes and 'End Task' on each one until the performance for UE4 was normal. So I was doing this through tons of them with no success. But then I did it on Realtek Audio Manager - and boom.. CPU performance went from 100% down to like 30-50 and UE4 was full operational!

Interestingly, I wanted to confirm this, so I restarted my PC so I could do it all over again. And UE4 worked fine. So maybe by killing the process, I cleared a cache that was causing the issue?

Can't be 100% sure, but just know - if UE4 is so slow its unusable (in both UI/Viewport) then try killing processes as it might be a program conflict.

Thanks for everyones help!

Darren