Home Technical Talk

Quad Chamfer...

Bigg__D
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Bigg__D polycounter lvl 4
Hi, I've been away from 3d from about a year now (because life) and just worked on concepting/drawing skills on the side, could not do any computer work. Now I got some classes going & student licenses give me access to some great software, got a new pc so now I'm excited to get back into. Got me substance painter subscription & been learning much as I can about texturing. Ok, so just watching some tutorials to get back into things, I see with modeling they use quad chamfer instead of manually placing edge loops these days. I have been trying to learn to work with it if it can make me work faster & save time in the end. I really never had issue with placing my own edge loops, its not a big deal to me & gives me great control, I know how to clean up geometry anyway. But quad chamfer seems to do some strange stuff & it just seems like it doesnt really save that much time, more of a headache than anything else with the amount of planning & smoothing group setups you have to do anyway. But I dont wanna just give up on it & go to my old ways if it is worth integrating into my modeling workflow. Any thoughts people? Is it a matter of preference or is it really a game changer, like manual edge loop placement is obsolete? 

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    do everything to model faster... i mean really fast... 

• Bigg__D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigg__D polycounter lvl 4
    Ok thanks for reply but nevermind I'm just an idiot lol. In my exploration of the modifier, I did not pay attention to the min/max angle fields under the options. So by default min. angle is set to 5 and produces cases where some edges I wanted split did not seem to split properly requiring manual clean up & they would not respond to smoothing groups anyway so I thought well if it requires this much clean up then its not really so fast. But I was wrong of course