Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Buster Sword - FFVII

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Bhasara polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys! Here's some screens of my latest project, the Buster Sword, on wich I work for a bit more than a week. I really had trouble with the lightning in the end. Working with highly reflective materials can be tricky to get the right results, so got to keep working on that. Like the lighting I had setup in marmoset for the screnshots did not give me the same look as in the viewer with a lot less lights an a more generam one. If ou have any advices and tips on how to properly light highly metallic props and how to properly setup neutral lighting for texturing, I would be really gratefull. 

I know presentation is quite important :)

I would really like more feedbacks, critics and advices ;) You can see it in more details on the artstation post. Hope you like it! 

D.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZQ5lN

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Marmoset Viewer cannot completely bring over the  scene set up in Toolbag.  For example it can only take up three lights in Viewer.  I recommend, if you want a one to one set up between both to keep your Toolbag scene as efficient as possible.
  • Bhasara
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I noticed that at the end! Thanks for the tip. Will redo some render in Marmo to get a better looking asset with less lights.

The thing that is giving me more trouble, is the fact that all the color info is stored in the spec of the material since it is almost 100% metallic, so it felt complicated to make it look good without having to push the brightness really high, wich in turn would give me really high reflection areas on my model. That had the effect of hiding most of the roughness details.

Plus I was wondering if the scaling of the scene/object influences the lighting (it sould logically) ?
  • Bhasara
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here's something I still quite dont get. You cann see screenshots from painter and marmoset, with the same environment map, but the results qre quite different from what I have in painter. I guess it it related to the spec gloss/PBR conversion.