Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Semi-Sci fi kiosk interior (WIP)

MartinCZ
vertex
Offline / Send Message
MartinCZ vertex
Hello!
I need to fill the room with much more stuff than i have at the moment and i'm curious what would be "cool".
This is my very first scene in UE4 so every critique en tip is welcome!

It is a WIP so the lightning is not there yet as it should be and not everything is textured like for example the hatch for the underground.

Thanks in advance!

ps. I'm heading for slightly sci-fi mood

Replies

• rocifier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rocifier null
    Looking good. It's quite noisy, is that because of the engine? The style reminds me of Outlast, are you going for that kind of horror feel? Tell me everything you have thought up about the story of this and how it fits into the larger world. That kind of info will determine what that machine with 2 cans in the last photo actually is (it's not reading well yet), as well as where the hatch below leads. What kind of person spends time in here? What do they do regularly and what do they do in there occasionally? Finally, why are you making this piece, and why do you say you need to add more stuff?
  • MartinCZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinCZ vertex
    rocifier said:
    Looking good. It's quite noisy, is that because of the engine? The style reminds me of Outlast, are you going for that kind of horror feel? Tell me everything you have thought up about the story of this and how it fits into the larger world. That kind of info will determine what that machine with 2 cans in the last photo actually is (it's not reading well yet), as well as where the hatch below leads. What kind of person spends time in here? What do they do regularly and what do they do in there occasionally? Finally, why are you making this piece, and why do you say you need to add more stuff?
    It started with an idea with something bigger than the kiosk itself but that would take too much time so i started to focus only on the kiosk. I changed the idea a few times and now im a little bit lost. I'm trying to fill the room with stuff you would find in a kiosk (food, crates, supplies etc.) But only doing that, i'm missing a "story". 

I'm heading for a sci-fi horror idea now. The hatch is a escape or entrance to a other world like in the stranger things, the series. I was thinking of letting some sort of strange being coming out in form of a beanstalk/tentecles or something in that way. Maybe some cables etc. 

Like i said, i'm a little bit stuck haha.
  • MartinCZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinCZ vertex
    Small update 

• rocifier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rocifier null
    I like the robotic claw, though it looks a little less menacing than it should - it's a bit like a grappling hook. I liked the idea of bringing organic into it. I think a big part of what made some recent series successful such as "last of us" is that they broke up the monotonic monotony with "life". If you think of the classic alien films they focused the camera on movement and life forms a lot and used slime and guts as their organic forms. But making this attractive might be as simple as adding pot plants?
  • rocifier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rocifier null
    So anyway, why are you making it? It sounds like it's not for anything specific so I'm going to guess it's a portfolio piece. This may be harsh but I'm going to suggest canning it since it's a small boring room that doesnt show off much of what you can do. It's not really selling anything to me, and while I could help you sketch some ideas and thing I think the problem is the decision of subject matter. If you look at the work of Syd Mead or Feng Zhu, they always pick the most epic scene they can think of to sell something. For example, in an outdoors scene they try to capture an awesome building with some culture around it. Or for a game they might capture a big boss scene, even over-emphasizing the scale of the boss and making him the focus point.

While I'm sure you've put a lot of hard work into this one so far, if it were me trying to get a professional job I'd probably learn from it and move onto a bigger area. It might take a bit longer to do a more grande scene, but I rekon in the long run it will pay off for you. I even wanted to see your sci-fi platform in a full environment instead of by itself floating in space. I think that would really help "sell it" to the guys with money :P :P

If you take the above well and somehow agree with it, I propose we redo the project with more ideas initially. We could make it a shared portfolio piece and both do work on it from concept through to modelling, materials, and rendering. My strengths are in concept and materials. I think yours are fairly balanced but maybe leaning towards modelling, so we may be able to achieve more than either of us can individually. What do you think?
  • MartinCZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinCZ vertex
    rocifier said:
    So anyway, why are you making it? It sounds like it's not for anything specific so I'm going to guess it's a portfolio piece. This may be harsh but I'm going to suggest canning it since it's a small boring room that doesnt show off much of what you can do. It's not really selling anything to me, and while I could help you sketch some ideas and thing I think the problem is the decision of subject matter. If you look at the work of Syd Mead or Feng Zhu, they always pick the most epic scene they can think of to sell something. For example, in an outdoors scene they try to capture an awesome building with some culture around it. Or for a game they might capture a big boss scene, even over-emphasizing the scale of the boss and making him the focus point.

While I'm sure you've put a lot of hard work into this one so far, if it were me trying to get a professional job I'd probably learn from it and move onto a bigger area. It might take a bit longer to do a more grande scene, but I rekon in the long run it will pay off for you. I even wanted to see your sci-fi platform in a full environment instead of by itself floating in space. I think that would really help "sell it" to the guys with money :P :P

If you take the above well and somehow agree with it, I propose we redo the project with more ideas initially. We could make it a shared portfolio piece and both do work on it from concept through to modelling, materials, and rendering. My strengths are in concept and materials. I think yours are fairly balanced but maybe leaning towards modelling, so we may be able to achieve more than either of us can individually. What do you think?
    That sounds actually pretty good. If you have a nice idea/concept i would def like to collaborate. 
    You can also contact me at martin.pro@live.nl

Cheers