Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[RIOT CC 2017] Character Art - Senna Shakata Reva'elk - Michael DanAttah

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
GeneralSoundwave polycounter lvl 10
Good afternoon everyone! I tried posting last night and apparently it failed, so here we go! 

I am entering this contest on two fronts. I am going to do everything from original concept to animation. I know it's going to be rough, but I care not. I'm ready to make a statement. 

I will use this post and frequently update this as the creativity pours out concerning Character Development!

*Edit 12/22/17
NAME: Senna Shakata Reva'elk
CITY OF BIRTH: Shurima
HEIGHT: 5"4"
PROFESSION: Professor & Reporter
WEAPON(S)/ CLASS: MMA - Mage: Shotgun & Amulet
ALIGNMENT: Righteous, Lawful
PERSONAL NARRATIVE: Polycount Narrative

*Last edited post 11/22/17
NAME: Senna Shakata Reva'elk
CITY OF BIRTH: Shurima
HEIGHT: 5"1"
PROFESSION: Professor & Reporter
WEAPON(S)/ CLASS: Cross-class: Shotgun & Emerald Scroll
ALIGNMENT: Righteous, Lawful-ish
BACKSTORY: Polycount Narrative

Replies

• GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    10 Hours on the boots! Unwrapped and ready to bake out. I'll begin baking once I get the female and clothes under way. I am very happy with this. I'll get some additional details in here once I figure out how the fabric patterns will work.

Total time, 6 Hours - Mid-Poly boot. I'll re-top later. Just gotta finalize the lases and straps!

Shoe with the LED's! At this point, I'm at 5.5 hours.

This is the finished shoe... I showed it to one of my best friends, JB, and he said it needed LED's!

3hrs! I had time to post one more image for today! maybe about 30-45 minutes to go!! Then I get to begin the boot section!

2h 30m - More than likely, this will be all for today. I was really hoping to be done by now... NOOOOO. It's all good though. By the way, I plan to make this a killer combat boot. Just killing two birds with one awesome stone.

2Hrs Total so far:

1Hr

I will use this thread to update her combat boots. This is the beginning of my reference. So far, 27 mins.
  • Jarran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarran polycounter lvl 11
    Hey! Just thought I'd point out that the rules say it has to be an existing champion :)

What to Create

A fully-textured character model of your favorite League of Legends champion/skin

• Take any champion in LoL and create a high-poly sculpt (optional) and low-poly fully textured model
    Things to keep in mind
    • There are no hard limits on polycounts but efficiency is appreciated: use your best judgment and make every polygon count
    • Bake the Ambient Occlusion (AO) map and use this as the start of your Diffuse Map
    • Try to keep the texture on its own single 2048 diffuse sheet
    • You can recreate the base champion, an existing skin or create your own design.
  • GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the heads up. It's coming off as if I am making an O.C., but I can tell you, this character is within the universe. I'll reveal who it is once i have the design done! I appreciate the heads up and looking out for me though! 

I cant reveal the truth yet, I don't want the immediate competition.
  • GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mid-Poly Geleberé - 3.5 hours total plus unwrap. The head is something I worked on for a bit as well. Ill post the concepts and the build in another thread. 

1hr blockout

This is a new piece of headgear that I came up with Called the Gelebré. I began modeling it yesterday... 1hr into it.
  • GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Total Hours for this section: 24 (I think)

2 more hours. I think I'm done. Just gotta check on some head specs.:

I worked on Senna for a good 8 hours yesterday... mostly doing RnD. Figured out bead patterns and whatnot.

I worked an additional 5 hours on Senna! I will red-line it some time tomorrow. Everything is unwrapped, yet I still need to get everything into its respective texture sheet as a whole. I have to yet to build the harness and also get the sleeve correct on her left arm. The Royal Knuckles and the Divine Rakav will be her weapons of choice... No concepts yet for those! 

Last night I created a concept for her dress that I need to post. This area will be reserved for her concept. I worked on that on an off for an hour. 

Here it is folks, former Queen, Senna Shakata Reva'elk. I began posting this as an original character so that I could maintain the element of surprise, even if it was for another week. The purple dress isn't actually a dress, its just paint to dictate my thoughts, of which, I am still trying to organize in my head. In my next post, I'll get you guys polygon data on the body and head of the character.

I worked on the character for an additional 5 hours to bring it to this point.

Currently I am working on the fashion design aspect of the character.

Ok, started building the female figure. I am using this concept sheet that I found online. I could swear this is J.Scott Campbell's reference, however, I cannot be sure. I want to give appropriate credit for the reference, however, in the long run, it won't matter. I only need it for the edge loops because the figure is going to change quite a bit by the time im done with it.  I worked on this last week but didnt post it. My files were at my other job. 2.5/3 Hrs!

• GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just thought I'd add a bio about myself this morning before I head out to work:

Vincenzo Michael Dan Attah
    (Vincent M. Donatelli)
    3D Animation Director / Entrepreneur / Public Speaker.
    16 years in the Video Games and Multi-Media Industry.

35+ Games / 45+ Commercials:
    Happy Fishies (iOS)
    Otaku Brawlers (Multi-Plat)
    N.A.R.Z. (Multi-Plat)
    Starship Troopers (iOS)
    Transformers 3 (PC)
    Dragonball GT Transformations  (GBA)

4 Years working as a Contract Pipeline and Project Consultant.

Demo Reel:
    https://youtu.be/v9Gf4-xtSB8

YouTube Channel:
    https://youtu.be/9kH3bh6CzMo

• GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick 45 min build, including unwrap. This will be a belt buckle and used for other shtuff maybe?
  • GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Proof of context regarding my choosing Senna as 'an existing champion.' According to this official release, she is a champion.

"Like the twin relic weapons they wielded, Lucian and his wife Senna were carved from the same stone. Together they battled evil in Runeterra for years, bringing light to darkness and purging those taken by corruption. They were beacons of righteousness: Senna's dedication to their cause never faltered, while Lucian's kindness and warmth touched the hearts of the many lives they saved. Two parts of one whole, they were devoted and inseparable."

Entire context:
    https://universe.leagueoflegends.com/en_US/story/champion/lucian/
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    This sounds like a neat idea, but I think you should definitely post in the Q&A thread to make sure this follows the rules. You're kinda skewing the lore of Lucian to fit this in since Senna isn't actually a character in the game. It would suck for you to put in all this work and get disqualified. 
  • Howling Carnage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Howling Carnage polycounter lvl 5
    Senna is an existing character within the LoL universe, but she isn't an existing champion from the game roster. 
  • GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, If it gets rejected, I'll find a place for her in one of my games! I'm skewing the Lore because there isn't much to go on, and from a storytelling perspective, it's  still healthy to try. I'm looking at it more like I'm  skewing the rules rather than the lore based on technicality.

It's worth the risk to make a statement. I appreciate you guys looking out for me though. I also appreciate feedback if you have any.
  • GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GAUNTLET SECTION
    Worked on this for about 1.5 hours. Sundays seem to be my RnD Day!

This is 5 hours worth of work... My mouse broke! NOOOOO! I had to use the touch-pad on my laptop for 3 hours today!

been mulling this one over all friggin day. Her gauntlet will cover her left arm. This initial sketch will be place down on the back of the hand.

• GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XERATH SHO [T] GUN

I put 5 hours into this last night. I love it, however, its WAAAAAY too high in tris. I'll have to figure something else out.

2 hours.

• GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bead Pattern Progress... 

Built and rendered these beads yesterday. Gold came out spectacular.

Looks like garbage on Low Poly, Looks fine with more verts. Ill fix it when the master unwrap is good to go. 

• GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Initial sculpt, before I paid attention to the rules. 
  • GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated Unwrap... I may tweak one more time.

17/12/4/ - Total Time thus far: 44 Hours, modeling and 1 additional unwrapping hour for arrangement, totaling 45 hours.

Honestly, I'm about 5 hours over and I haven't added any of my time from research. I am not a concept artist, not by a long shot and I know I would have been able to knock this out in about 35 hours with a better blueprint. I'm just happy that I get to begin textures and ringing!

My final unwrap:

• GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SKIN AND ANIMATION TEST!
    2.5 hours: Biped Rig, Fixed Unwrap, and began Skinning.
    3 hours: Current condition of the Skin.
    2 hours: Current condition of the Walk Cycle.

I am very aware of the clipping issues. I need to fix the shoulders and the tunic belt. I'll take care of that tomorrow. I am pretty pleased with how things look so far...

Things to note, when I was skinning, I was teaching at the same time... under normal circumstances, I can knock this out in 4 hours. I estimate at least 1 more hour of work into the rig/skin and another hour in the walk. She's sassy. 

Special thanks to: Shawn Irons, Maria Muntean-Lungu, Mike Graham, Ann Rust, Val (no one knows his last name right now), and Evan Sylve for the constant crits today.

model
  • GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone. Just wanted to say that I wont be around for the next few days... maybe until Wednesday. My wifes grandmother passed on Friday, so we will be attending her service. Kind of a rough way to begin Chanukkah. I hope you all have a great next few days.
  • GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    modelPosted this in animation section today! 45 mins of work.
  • GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1.5 hours total for this buff. Super excited about it! 
    model
  • GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow its been a while since I've been able to post. I have lost of stuff to add, but I dont have all my files with me. Today I am going to add my organic sculpt work on the arms and legs. 1hr each... I LOVE how her legs came out. I went to school with Venus Williams years ago when I went to the Art Institute of Ft. Lauderdale. She was at the top of her game back then and man was she fit. She was the inspiration behind the musculature. I know her bicept is too long, its fixed in Max already... all I need is the texture info!

I have so much to post! I textured a piece of the belt section... Finished the base info for her skirt... Her eyes are all done, using actual Senna's eyes for ref... He eye lashes are done... her chest piece is done. I need to fix her side of the chest piece and add to the back. I'm going to head home to go paint some more. Began painting the necklace earlier. Oh! I finished her boots yesterday! 6 hours of work. So happy about the turn out today!!

As for her animation, I finished her run cycle, her death animation, her counter buff, and also her barrier buff!

Current issues: No internet at home. Z-brush Broke. Photoshop wont import a 3d Model. I just installed 3D Coat today and rent is due in 2 weeks. Ugh. I can't wait until our community is established in Houston. We will have fewer issues.
  • GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick post! Still no internet folks. Prob won't have it until next month? I won't be able to get to it tomorrow, but I do have a phone for now!

• GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured it was about time to showcase an actual progress render! I need to calculate the hours I've put into texturing... I can't forget that. Also, I downloaded and installed 3D Coat yesterday morning. It had been the first time using it in YEARS and OMG it has come a LONG way. In this render, I used it on the beaded necklace. Each bead is unique! 

I had a wonderful revelation about how to deal with the leggings this morning during prayer.I'll try and take care of that today!

Click to enlarge! its pretty huge.

• GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Before I forget to ask, would anyone know whether or not alpha channels are used in LOL? I'm using them in this for the cornea and also the lenses of her classes. I can kill it if need be.
  • GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have updated my work within the Animation Category as well.

• GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Senna progress!!! All i have left to do is the arms and belt!

• GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update, I finished all his preliminary textures last night at 2:30. I'm going to spend the the afternoon doing lighting and color correction to them. The golds don't match... some of the turquoose is too bright, etc.

I'm hoping to get to the internet around 4 or something so I can Post my update!

the next tast will be to get her gun under control! 
  • GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update #21 (I think)! I hope everyone had a really great day. Shabbat came to a close a few hours ago and I was able to break away from my family for a few to upload. All I have left to do is her hands and her weapon! I am super excited about how she came out. I'm hoping to be fully finished by Tuesday evening so that I can begin writing about why I chose to work on this character. 

Have a great weekend folks!

All of the time has been officially calculated! From Start to Finish: Model, Textures, Rig, &Skin; Senna took 85 Hours! This is not including any of the animation, nor the weapon
  • GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey everyone! Update #22 - Hands!

The Henna tattoo mask has been modified in the final texture...

Just to let everyone know, I am completely finished with my character as of yesterday. I was trying my hardest to get done by January 1, but I had too much family come in for the holidays. I should be able to post my final updates on Sunday!

• GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Update #23, The Final turnaround! I am super happy with the progress I've made on her. 

• GeneralSoundwave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XERATH SHOTGUN - Low Poly Complete!

From Concept to final, 15 Hours.

model