[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] Character Art - katarina - male skin - FemCharles

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
FemCharles polycounter lvl 4
Hey!

I don't have much time but i thought i would join in and hope to do as much as i can! Hopefully i can finish on time.
I haven't made any male characters so i thought this would be a good opportunity to dive in a create a male! My idea is to gender swap Katarina with her original skin. Basically just make a sexy male rogue.  Wasn't sure if it would count as a reskin, i did ask in the Q&A but did not get a response so i think i will just roll with it.

Here is my moodboard:

I will post some concepts later.

Good luck and have fun!

Replies

• Goldo_O
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O polycounter lvl 11
    Really interested in your idea! I hope you'll find the time to complete it.
    Can't wait to see what he will look like. :)
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    @Goldo_O Thank you! I hope i can finish it too!

So i have done some quick sketches. I hope people can make out whats going on with my scribbles!

As you can see from my reference pretty slim build with some muscle details but nothing over the top. I want to keep the sassy personality of Katarina but still have a dishonest look about him (since he is a rogue and all.) Here is a quick few faces to get a feel. I think currently i am leaning towards B. The red hair is pretty iconic, keeping it long but isn't as feminine as the other long hairstyles.

I also done some quick sketches of the upper body. There is a few variations of clothing from the in game model to the cinematic so i took some time to look at those. There is elements i like from all 3 designs so i might do a mix but i have to work out what i want to symmetry in my final model. I'm leaning towards twist of fate outfit because i like the asymmetrical design, although i will need to symmetry some things and simplify for readability.  

Any thoughts are welcome!

In the meantime i will move onto the sculpt and start blocking out the anatomy.
  • Utte
    Offline / Send Message
    Utte vertex
    Haha, I like the idea! Following! It's fun to see others choosing Katarina aswell, but with a totally different take. In the intro they wrote that they won't judge the idea, just the quality of the work, so this should be alright :) I like the C hair, but I have a thing for sidecuts, so..
  • liemnguyenart
    Offline / Send Message
    liemnguyenart polycounter lvl 2
    Such a cool idea and liking the progress. Me personally wished he showed more skin so you can really let the anatomy shine. Maybe you can try a unique half leather top design similar to tryndamere so he can show off his sculpted chest. Just a thought xD.
  • gyllenhaal
    Offline / Send Message
    gyllenhaal polycounter lvl 2
    he needs a long hair like taric  :D
  • Iced_Latte
    Beautiful sketches :blush: I'm also liking the B variation for his hair and D for his upper parts! Bon voyage!
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    @Utte ; I like C as well! I will probably try a few styles when i have blocked more of him out.

@liemnguyenart Yes! i am going to try a short jacket showing off the chest! I'm still undecided if that's the direction i will go but i will definitely try it in the blockout stage. 

@ I think the long hair  that's down works well on taric because he has such a big build. I would be worried with my character that has a slimmer build, long hair and the camera angle, it might just read as katarina (the female)! But the red, longish hair is iconic for Katarina so i do want to keep it in some way.

@Iced_Latte Thank you! I think will try a mix of the ideas and see how it starts to feel in 3D.

So here is a quick screen grab of my current progress from zbrush. I started fleshing out some of the anatomy and getting a feel for the face. The hair is temp. I'v still got some work to do on the lower half but i want to make sure my anatomy is correct, especially since the design is showing a lot of skin. Anyway let me know what you think! :)

• Iced_Latte
    @FemCharles Ooohhh Anatomy is always tough but he's looking good so far! I'll be looking forward to the lower parts as well :)
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    @Iced_Latte Yes! It takes some time to get it right :)

So quick update. I did a paintover of my blockout to try and finalize a design. I ended up using a mixture of the two different outfits from the cinematics and the in game model. I then added some of my own ideas and tried to simplify the design for easier readability. I would like more asymmetry however i'm also thinking about mirroring in the texture. I put most of the asymmetry in the top half since that is what mostly will be seen from game cam.  Katarina is mostly readable from her pose and daggers since her outfit is pretty skin tight. I still wanted to try and break the silhouette as much as possible though so put more emphasis on the hair and shoulder pads. Anyway it would be great to get peoples thoughts! I'v already started on blocking out the design to see if it works in 3D :)