Home Technical Talk

Texturing and Environment map

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
bitinn polycounter lvl 6
Hi,

I am wondering how one decides what environment map to use during texturing.

I understand ideally you want an environment map that roughly match your final scene, so your texture comes out the same in game.

But what if I am still in early stage of development? Would it make sense to use a HDR image that have a decent ambient lighting and less color impact? Such as this one:

Or maybe just studio light:

And I don't understand, under what condition would one use these maps, where you can't easily grasp the color? I assume I should never use them during texturing?

Thx in advance.

Replies

• Mirbobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With PBR texturing you really shouldn't texture for a specific lighting condition but use measured values if possible.
    Generally what you want to do during texturing is to test your model in multiple different environments to make sure that that the textures look correct in every environment. There are multiple different workflows on how people get their results so there isn't really a correct answer there.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Yup what mirbobo said, also if not going for pbr the workflow will be the same as in define material type and colors first then you can go as much in detail as you want on diffuse, gloss, spec, normal etc.
  • bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    Mirbobo said:
    With PBR texturing you really shouldn't texture for a specific lighting condition but use measured values if possible.
    Generally what you want to do during texturing is to test your model in multiple different environments to make sure that that the textures look correct in every environment. There are multiple different workflows on how people get their results so there isn't really a correct answer there.
    HAWK12HT said:
    Yup what mirbobo said, also if not going for pbr the workflow will be the same as in define material type and colors first then you can go as much in detail as you want on diffuse, gloss, spec, normal etc.
    Thx both, I am going PBR workflow, but try to be more stylized this time.

I think I will stick with simple environment map for now, because BaseColor is more important in my specific case. I will check the result in different environment afterward.