Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] Blood Moon Riven

Takeko
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Takeko polycounter lvl 2
(My first post disapeared after I tried to edit it, my apologies if this create a double )

Hi, I am set on doing something for Riven, my very first main character when I started playing league back in season 2 !
Iam not too confident in my 2d designing skills but I still want to try doing something original for the first few week then decide if I managed to do an acceptable design or if I'l go forward with an existing version of Riven.

First ideas sketches :
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Silouhette Study :
While doing my researches, I found that Dawnbringer Riven had a very different model than the other ones in terms of proportions, shape, and pose. It has gotten a lot better than the old ones in the process, feeling less stiff in game and more aerial.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Using the dawnbringer skin as a base, I altered the pose a bit (left arm) and the sword, trying to attain a crescent moon shape to match the theme.
I first wanted a "single winged" scarf but the back view (3rd column) lacked balance in my opinion, so I added back a second "wing".
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Replies

• GravityBwlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GravityBwlast interpolator
    Hey, nice to see you here. :)
    The silhouette study is a smart thing to do, and your first sketch is really cool. Looking forward to see what you'll do!
    Bonne chance!

• Takeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Takeko polycounter lvl 2
    Hey thanks and good luck to you too !

here's the progress of my design, I think I am pretty close to the final iteration, I still have to find a suitable design for the sword and do the color distribution.

• Takeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Takeko polycounter lvl 2

Worked on color distribution and the sword, going to start the sculpt !
  • Takeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Takeko polycounter lvl 2

hey, It's still pretty rough but I wanted to update my WIP so here it is!
  • Takeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Takeko polycounter lvl 2

Made some progress on the blockout !
  • Takeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Takeko polycounter lvl 2

So I have done the retopology and the UVs the past week aswell as researches for the sword and I found myself quite pleased with what I came with, an axe-like blade for normal mode that trenghten the "Oni/Demon" vibe and moon shape, and a complete sword for the ultimate mode, where the mask break down and reveal more of a "Blood Goddess" vibe.
    The round shaped hole is designer to receive a blood orb effect pretty much like Vladimir's one in his Splash art.

I made some sketches on paper but I don't have the time to scan them, I hope I will have the time to complete my crafting thread after I finish my piece.

About the polycount,my detail density is a bit higher than Blair Armitage's entry from several years ago, I really liked her Schoolday Ahri and the level of quality she had on this model.

I had to be away for some time so I am a bit in a rush right now, I think I am still in the safe zone but I have to make full use of the time that remain. I really want to complete my entry on time !