Home Adobe Substance

Can't make this straight forward pattern!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
capone polycounter lvl 18
Trying to make this;

It looks so simple but it's incredibly tricky to get right. What am I missing here? I have correct shape and alignment but no matter what I do with scaling I can't get it to have equal connecting lines.

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It is a tricky pattern to make tileable on a square texture, you'll likely have to cheat and construct it in multiple steps. Here is my version of it (the secret is to scale the shape non-uniformely in the tile generator).

• Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    Hey,
    That was a little tricky. I think because hex patterns don't line up with square grids like the tile generator. I had to compensate by stretching the pattern shape a little. and making the tile generator  XY amount 7 by 6 and vertical offset of 0.5

• DefBot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DefBot polycounter lvl 14
    Update: This works even better:

Here you can change the amount easily compared to my old solution. Some numbers break the pattern though. Luminance variation works fine too, if you need it.

Polygon: Scale 0.95
    Transformation (Hori Mirror Other): No Tiling / Size 50% / Offset 0.21667x 0.373y
    Tile Generator: Tile H&V / amount 10x18y / 2 Input Patterns & Number Distribution / Interstice 0.229x -0.34y / Scale 2 / Offset 1 / Vertical Offset On

You can also do it this way:

Bottom Tile Generator Settings: amount 15x18y / Interstice -0.155x -0.335y / Scale: 0.95 / Offset 0.5
    Top Tile Generator Settings: amount 10x18y / Interstice 0.25x -0.33y / Offset 1 / VerticalOffset On / Global Offset 0.05x / HorizontalMask On