Home Adobe Substance

Weird Question: can I preview SP height to normal conversion in SD?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
bitinn polycounter lvl 6
Hi,

When you author a simple PBR material in Substance Designer, your height map will eventually be converted to normal when working in Substance Painter.

Is the process of conversion as simple as using a Normal or Normal Sobel node with intensity set to X? How I can preview roughly the same result in Designer?

(EDIT: It seem like using Normal Sobel with Intensity 5; But IF the height map passthrough a Base Material node, make sure Height Position is 0.5 and Height Range is 1 to get the same result...)

Replies

• bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    Actually, can someone explain to me: why my height map looks different in SD from SP? A bug? Because the converted normal map in SP looks fine.

This leads to another problem: I can't seem to find a constant Normal Sobel intensity in SD that always give me the same Normal output as the automatic Height 2 Normal conversion in SP. I can get one material to match but the same value will be wrong when dealing with another material.

• bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    Hmmm, so it looks like not only Height Position and Range affects Normal output, but also any Transform on normal map.

I put the Normal Sobel output through a Material Transform with 25% width and height. And for reasons I don't fully understand, it results in the need to increase Normal Sobel intensity, from 5 to 20 (exactly 1 / 0.25 = 4 times), to get the same result as Height 2 Normal conversion in SP.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I'm pretty confident sp isn't using sobel for the conversion. Try using a standard normal node. 

Height in sp is signed so the range goes from -1 to 1 rather than 0 - 1

Also,  fwiw I try not to mix normal and height outputs from the same material in Painter. Things are a lot simpler if you stick to height. 
  • bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    poopipe said:
    I'm pretty confident sp isn't using sobel for the conversion. Try using a standard normal node. 

Height in sp is signed so the range goes from -1 to 1 rather than 0 - 1

Also,  fwiw I try not to mix normal and height outputs from the same material in Painter. Things are a lot simpler if you stick to height. 
    Thx, yeah I am not mixing normal and height, I always just pick one. But height isn't viewable as normal in SD; so what I am trying to do is to create a normal output that will be the same as the height -> normal conversion in SP.

Added benefit: I can expose an intensity control for Normal, so if I am not happy with the height -> normal in SP, I can switch to actual normal and adjust intensity.