Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Iron Harvest/World of 1920+ inspired Mech

Mikevshero
node
Hey guys, working on this for a portfolio piece for one of my university modules. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thankyou :).

Research

A fair amount of the design will be based off of the Rusviet Unit, which thankfully someone has created a model/sculpt of for the Scythe board game. I will however be incorporating various design features from other mechs as well as some of my own designs as I go along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=YSKeZpTnNmo

Here are some of the other mechs from World of 1920+. I would like to use parts of their designs also for my own mech.

Block out

Quick moodboard I made which includes some potential poses for the mech for my final presentation. Workflow wise i'm not sure if its best to pose the mech in the block out phase or wait until I have finished the modelling and texturing.

Replies

• Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    -Edit- Misunderstanding. I was going to give design suggestions, but didn't realize you are working from an exact reference.
  • Mikevshero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mikevshero node
    i'm still in the block out stage so suggestions are welcome, im open to some design changes :)
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Not a direct suggestion, but if you need more references, this seems to be a Dieselpunk aesthetic. So searching for that should give some good results.
    Tor Frick has a lot of high-quality works in that aesthetic as well, including time-lapse videos of him making them.
  • Mikevshero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mikevshero node
    O cool completely forgot to search for diesel punk mechs. As for Tor Frick I did actually include him into my research as I found his artstation recently but forgot to upload the link on here, his work is great. Thanks man :)
  • Mikevshero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mikevshero node
    Heres some more progress i've made with the block out. Changed the hull a little bit and have redone most of the leg design and added some armor panels too it. Its coming along pretty well however Im not too sure about the feet and the knee join armor. Also the armour panels I added to the arms looked like they are tacked on, so will need to either remove the armor from the arms completely (which may look a little strange in comparison to the rest of the mech) or fight a way to mesh the armour panel to the rest of the arm.

• Mikevshero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mikevshero node
    Made a quick moodboard based on warhammer 40k mechs, titans killa kans e.c.t mainly for joint and feet designs. I also found a design i really liked of the foot area so I used it as inspiration for my own mech.

Made improvements on the arm armour, knee and ankle/foot. Feel like the block out is close to being finished now, but I'll add some more shapes to the back of the hull and on the joints before I move onto the high poly.

• Mikevshero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mikevshero node
    I've continued adding more geometry and detail, mainly to the top of the hull, legs,arms,weapon as well as a socket joint which showcases more freedom in the mechs arm movement.

Next I will be finishing off the leg, and moving onto the hull and turrets :)

• Mikevshero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mikevshero node
    spent a little time on the legs and below the torso tonight adding in some final geometry and detail to the area.

• Mikevshero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mikevshero node

Made some improvments to my mech model this week, by adding in some shoulder armor to bulk up the top of the arm, adjusted the weapon and its armour to make it look a little heavier, and finally added some detail to the side of the hull and the turret near the shoulder. I plan on finishing the model design in the next week by adding some more shapes/detail to the hull before moving on. :)

• Mikevshero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mikevshero node
    Here is my finished Mech Model. I added some extra detail to the hull such as a spotlight, eye light, Soviet star symbol e.c.t

• philong02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my godness. I love Scythe (my favorite bordgame and I saw the artwork of voodoo for this mech. So much love but now, I have printer (mouhahaha) Do you have print this beautiful work?