Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Arm help(feedback appreciated)

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Dartist polycounter lvl 3
Hey!  So making this character and I am having a really rough time with the arm(the one not holding the sword), and how to make the metal armored wings feel more metallic.  Also, if anyone else has any recommendations for hair, let me know :)  Thanks again guys!  

Replies

• KerryAislinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KerryAislinn polycounter lvl 3
    I think the perspective is off a bit on the arm. It looks to me like the arm should be moved up slightly so it looks as if it would be attached at the shoulder. Right now, it looks to me like her arm is dislocated. Her hand might also be a bit too tiny.  Have you tried looking at reference? Sometimes I find it helpful to take a picture of myself doing the same pose with a camera at the same angle (or have a friend take it if you don't have a tripod and timer). The way you have rendered the image is quite nice so once you fix the arm up it will look great. 

As far as the metallic wings go, you have a lot of smooth shading which looks reflective but you can push it more with some more hard edged brush strokes. Reflections differ depending on the environment around the character. The image below has some examples of harsh light reflections that might help show what I am saying. Overall, great job. 

• Dartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kerryaislinn

Thanks so much for the advice!  I should gather reference for the arm and change this for sure.  Also, thanks for the information on the wings.  Will try to push it some more :)  Thanks so much on the compliment!  Will post an update soon!

• Dartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Roxirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roxirin polycounter lvl 3
    I don't know if this will help you, but here's a trick I use when drawing arms: Draw a little circle for the shoulder joint and for the center of the hand, and then draw a straight line connecting them. Find the halfway point along that line and draw another line from there extending to where the elbow should be (the length of this line depends on how bend the elbow is, mess around with it a little). Then draw new lines (in blue here) connecting all three points (shoulder, elbow, and hand). It tends to help get proportions right, and from what I did briefly in MS paint, I think your character's elbow is tucked in too far and the foreshortening on her forearm is making it look odd. Hope this helps! (Also, get some armor on this lady, she's gonna get stabbed in the stomach ;) )

P.S: You very likely know this already, but proportions for arms are as follows: the elbow joint lines up with the waist, and the fingertips should stop about mid-thigh (the wrist is therefore usually at crotch level). You've got it just about right on the sword arm ^^

• Dartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much  @Roxirin!  I will do this for sure for my other drawings and hopefully get better at it.  Haha, I know the lack of armor is not great, but she was a study piece for me(she's meh in terms of design).  I wanted to practice stomach anatomy, armor and cloth and incorporate it into 1 character :D
  • Roxirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dartist said:
    Thanks so much  @Roxirin!  I will do this for sure for my other drawings and hopefully get better at it.  Haha, I know the lack of armor is not great, but she was a study piece for me(she's meh in terms of design).  I wanted to practice stomach anatomy, armor and cloth and incorporate it into 1 character :D
    No worries! Glad I could help, the piece looks awesome otherwise, your shading and rendering skills are very good :) Good luck in your future artistic endeavors! :smiley:
  • Dartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much!  Happy New Years! @Roxirin
  • Roxirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dartist said:
    Thanks so much!  Happy New Years! @Roxirin
    Happy New Year :smiley: