Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Narrative

[WIP] Contest Entry (Viktor/Urgot Story)

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Captain_Marvelous polycounter lvl 3
Hey everyone! First polycount so bear with me, I'm new to this. I guess the best way to start is to outline the plan and who/what/why:

Why a Viktor/Urgot story?

I like the idea of these two characters meeting. Both are interested in "progress" but one (Urgot) is focused the idea of uncaging Zaun and is more interested in progress from the PoV of a city's advancement with only minor care to the individual. Conversely, the other (Viktor) wants to see the idea of humanity as a whole advance, not gated to a singular city or nation.

I also assume it'd be hard for these two to meet up so I wanted to craft a "What if" scenario if they both got to sit down for like ten minutes and just discuss their ideas. 

What's the story's goal?

Hopefully, if it all comes out well:
  • Both characters portrayed in a unique-yet-canonical way.
  • Highlight/emphasize the differences in technique and personalities.
  • Provide my own idea on how their confrontation/discussion would go and the conclusion.
  • Most of all, write an enjoyable story that is worth reading.
With that said the first draft should be sometime this weekend. Plus it gives me a reason to practice writing so woo! Feel free to provide criticism as well. Regardless of winning or losing, improvement is key. 

Replies

• Captain_Marvelous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hurrah, it's draft time! 

I've done two drafts, albeit the differences between them are negligible. Still, the small differences make the biggest impacts. Draft 1 represents the very first iteration/ideation of the story. Of course, it's unrefined, very simple and probably has a spelling error or two. Off the top of my head, here are some base problems I had/was worried about:

• How well did I portray each character?
    • Did I spend too much time describing the setting? (Only have 1k words after all.)
    • Did Urgot and Viktor sound too similar?
    • Is the feeling of tension/conflict pervasive in the story?
    • General bug-fixing. (Spelling errors, punctuation, etc.)

Draft 2 represents a change after I received some feedback on the first draft of the story. I tried to dial up Viktor's analytical mind, focus more on Urgot's vision/Noxus bad blood and try to set them primed for conflict more than the first draft. It's still unrefined and needs work but I hope you'll all enjoy these two drafts. 

Also: They're word files (as I work in MS Word first) but the final draft shall be in a pdf as is required of the contest.
  • Captain_Marvelous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wew, been a hot minute.

Anyways, this is likely the final draft. Not much has change from draft two. Just some minor tweaks and edits to clean-up the story and iron out some minor errors in grammar and spelling. Final word count places this at around 992 words. Hopefully this is enjoyable to any who read!
  • Captain_Marvelous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One final update:

In the midnight hour I made about two changes. But this is the draft I've submitted. Good luck everyone!