Home Technical Talk

[3DSMAX] What is the best unit scale to use consistently?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
OccultMonk interpolator
I want my objects to be mostly in real-world scale. So a figure would be for example between 1.50 and 3 meters but not 30 meters. A bag can be 30 cm, a nail 2 cm. (I use mostly scene scale in CM). But should I use generic units? I have downloaded kitbash libraries and they are all over the place. Mark Van Haitsma Uses Generic units. But His cables and objects seem far too large (for example 200 generic units for a small cable). That would be 200cm? = too large. 200 MM = too small.

max default 'system units' is inches.
max default 'display units' is generic.

Replies

• CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    max default 'system units' = cm
    max default 'display units' = cm

is most common.
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    Generic units are just "display units".  If you set system unit to cm then 1 generic unit = 1 cm, if you set it to meters then 1 gu = 1 meter
    Most commonly used is CM 
    Kitbashes will be all over the place in scale because difference artist uses difference unit setup. And sometimes they just scale it up because working with tiny objects  in Max is a pain in the ass

• Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    You have to set your system unit with something coherent to your model size or you'll get clipping and accuracy issues at greats values. Note that you can always go back and forth between systems.
    I'm european so inches never made sense to me.

a watch : millimeters
    a human : centimeters
    a house : meters
    a terrain : kilometers

The display unit is just a helper and has actually no influence on your file. I usually set it the same as system unit, but sometimes it could help to have different units. For instance if you deal with ancient mesure system like roman or egyptian units. Not that it is used often in video game art tho :).

• HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    I work with generic units by setting my default units to 1generic unit to 1meter in max unit setup. So with this in mind when I make 200 units box in height (default player height in Unity 1.8m =6 feet so we just round it off to 2m) 200/100=2M basically with this setup all you have to do in Unity is change scale factor to .01 alternatively uniform scale your mesh down to 1,1,1 value and rest xform in max and it will give you exact 2m scale that way you leave unity scale factor as is. Now why I do it this way well for me I can take it as is in Unreal or Unity also working with 2m scale from get go is too small to work with in max viewport (generic units) you have to increase near and far clipping values.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    That's just odd.
    You're making a 200metre high box and then scaling it down to1% of its size when you could simply make a 2m high box. 

If you're not getting the precision you need then work in cm and let fbx handle the unit conversion - which it does a perfectly good job of. 
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Nope not 200m just 200 generic units, helps a lot with unreal / unity workflow while being on grid like 128 generic units in max can be 1.28cm or 1.28m depending on your final unit choice. 
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Ok, I was using CM for system units and CM for display units. But when looking at kitbash libraries I was confused about the scaling. 200 generic units for a small wire seems strange. And since Mark Van Haitsma is such a great professional modeler, I thought I might do something wrong.

Does working on 200 units have advantages for 3dsmax tools. I know 3dsmax can behave strangely when objects are too small. But what is too small?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Issues with viewport clipping etc are related to relative scale.  I.  If your object is 0.000001 or 1000000 system units across you'll have trouble. 

Display units fall down a bit when you need to use small numbers (Eg 0.0001) because the default setting is to show only a few decimal places(this can be increased but you still don't have much actual screen space for the numbers) 

For anything human(ish) scale,  working in cm gives you enough precision to deal with tiny things (0.001 cm) or big things (99999cm) without any issues at all.

The only reason I move to metres is if I'm working on something vast (city/massive landscape etc). I'd probably go to km for a whole planet

Your display unit setup is up to you - I like generic units because they show you exactly how many system units you're using and you don't have to deal with the unit symbols when copy&pasting values.

None of this is a rule,  it's just a default starting point I've ended up adopting over the years. 
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    we also tend to use cm over here - I feel like it works best in most use cases.

@OccultMonk It happens more often than not that people dont really care about "real" scale at all and just model something :)  So im not surprised you stubled uppon this. It even happens within projects that objects are not in scale to each other and are scaled on engine import *sigh*
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Scale on engine import oh god @kio I can imagine the pain. I wonder how the texel density work in that scenario.

@OccultMonk woah no no mate 200 generic units (system units set to 1unit =1 meter) I do it for all my work, 200 units for me = 2m (200/100=2m) in Unity. Like I said I either scale it down before export or I change scale factor in Unity to  .01. Basically I have established my proportion / scale setup first by using a biped at 1.8m (6feet tall, 180 generic units) and 2m tall cube (200 generic units) now note we are not doing cad work so this setup gives a good starting point to eyeball stuff in relation to your human character. As for how small is too small, well 8x8x8 grid area as you can see in pic below bolts and knob lie on 16x16x8 grid (16Width 16Length 8Height) 

Also I just checked Mark Van's asset sample cables and he is exactly doing same or rather I am doing same as him given he worked at Epic and I learned from Epic docs back in UDK days.

Reason why we do it this way is also linked with using grid for modularity for environment art, power of 2 setup.

• OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    HAWK12HT I still don't get it. If 1 unit is 1 meter then 200 units should be 200 meters? Why not use 1 unit is 1 centimeter then? And if Mark Van Haitsma uses such large scales for small objects then how large should a character be in proportion?