Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Antelope

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
I had a fun idea I wanted to work on in my spare time involving some different Antelopes.  I'm not sure how often I'll get to work on this because of work and other commitments but I plan to get something done every week.  I'm not sure if I'll be sculpting anything just yet, but we'll see what happens. For now I'm just working on a low poly because that's how I like to work.  Based on a Springbok but I'm not too fussy on details.

Replies

• WadeWT
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    Finishing up the rest of the body, there is an interior to the mouth, but no teeth yet.  I am planning on rigging this.

• Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty solid so far. I think the eye position and head in general need a bit of tweaking to match the antelope/springbok headshape. Springboks have a nice inward curve to their horns too, which might be worth replicating.

I'd add another edge loop to where both the hip  and shoulder meet the body to give better deformation.
  • WadeWT
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    Looks pretty solid so far. I think the eye position and head in general need a bit of tweaking to match the antelope/springbok headshape. Springboks have a nice inward curve to their horns too, which might be worth replicating.

I'd add another edge loop to where both the hip  and shoulder meet the body to give better deformation.
    Thanks for the feedback.  I've added in those edge loops (good call) and given the horns a more interesting shape.  I've been struggling a bit with the head shape, it matches the silhouette of the reference I've been using, but something definitely seems off about it. But in any case I've changed some stuff around and I think it looks better, but it still seems a bit wrong to me.  I'll keep working on it, though.

• WadeWT
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    Possibly the wrong tact, but I thought I'd do a quick unwrap and texture job to check if the patterns on the Springbok's head are what's throwing me off. It looks alright to me, but curious what others thoughts are.  

As a side note: I'm trying to use substance painter for the first time and having an awkward time transitioning from photoshop.  Curious if anyone has a nice starter tutorial.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Allegorithmic has a bunch of good tutorials for Substance Painter on Youtube.

The nose is looking a bit chunky and there's a smoother flow from the nose over the orbits of the eyes. There's the heart shaped curve on the horns too.
  • WadeWT
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    Allegorithmic has a bunch of good tutorials for Substance Painter on Youtube.

The nose is looking a bit chunky and there's a smoother flow from the nose over the orbits of the eyes. There's the heart shaped curve on the horns too.
    Thanks again,
    I've gone over the head again and I think I'm happy with it now.  I've also brought more of that heart shape to the horns.  I'm not getting used to the brushes in substance painter so I might retreat back to photoshop for now.

• WadeWT
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    Bit of texturing update for the night.
  • WadeWT
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    Figured I'd do a rig for it just to test how it was working.  Haven't paid too much attention to the weighting but it still works ok, might need to add some more geometry to help the bending in the legs, but I'll see what happens.  I'll probably make some prettier controllers for the rig next, just so it's fun to animate.  Still has no teeth, the poor sod.  

It's about 6000 tris, is this considered antelowp...  oly?
  • Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    You got me at antelowpoly :p Looks pretty good for now, i'm curious what are you planning to do exactly with this nice beasts? The only part that still need some work to me are the legs; they naybe look a bit too cylindrical. Love it anyway!
  • WadeWT
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    Olingova said:
    You got me at antelowpoly :p Looks pretty good for now, i'm curious what are you planning to do exactly with this nice beasts? The only part that still need some work to me are the legs; they naybe look a bit too cylindrical. Love it anyway!
    Thanks!  I'll fix up the legs next, as well as a few other things that are bothering me.  I'm glad you like the pun because the idea was basically a lot of antelope puns.  I plan to make a lot more antelopes based off of this one, like: Santalope, Pantalope, Decedantelope, Bob Antelhope, Auntalope, Heirophantelope, Antelpope etc.  I'd also like to make a simple character controller for it in unity so I can walk around as any of them, but we'll see how far I get.  

Latest update:  RIG!  I'm mostly happy with it, there's a few things I might change around, I tend to change my mind on things when I start animating.

edit: I made the eyes like that just to test that the eye controls were working, not sure if I'll keep them like that or change them back to black.

• WadeWT
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    Fixed up a bunch of weighting and some totally tiny problems (like the front legs bending the wrong way) added some more geometry in places where it got a bit too angular, and did another pass on the legs as suggested by Olingova, but I think they still need more work.  I've also done a very rough drafty mock up of one of the Antelopes - the Antelpope.  I was thinking I might add some bones to the horns so that I can move them out of the way for certain hats, but it'd probably be cooler to incorporate them into the designs where possible.  
  • WadeWT
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    Haven't had a lot of time to work on this, but I found some spare time this morning to do a little walk cycle. Still needs some work but it's mostly intact I think.

• WadeWT
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    I put it in Unity and started working on a crappy controller for it.  I also made an idle animation.  The key to a good idle is subtlety. Also fixed those annoying bendy front legs in the walk animation.