Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fantasy Fountain

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Seal40k polycounter lvl 6
Hi there,

I am currently working on a Fantasy Fountain and it would be great to get your opinion on this piece:

For the modelling I used Maya/Zbrush, the texturing is done in Substance Painter.
I am at 17k Tris at the moment, would you consider this as to much for a next gen Game Asset?

Best,

Sebastian

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    17k isn't necessarily too much for this asset (although this is highly dependent on what the asset is for and how it will be used) the main problem is that you're wasting a ton of geo.  The base/basin of the fountain especially has a lot of edge loops that are adding nothing to the model and could easily be removed without changing the appearance at all.

I've highlighted some of what i'm talking about in red but there are also unnecessary edgeloops on the inner wall of the base and the floor of the base, as well as the sides of the first piece that comes up from the floor.

Edit:  I'm also now noticing that the tiny spiral horn thing at the tip of the fountain has WAY more polys than are necessary.  This is the smallest piece of geo on the whole thing yet ~1/3 of your polygons are spent on this thing.
  • Seal40k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks for your advice, makes sense. I will rework the Topology

• Seal40k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Besides the Topology issue, I added some leaves for more detail:

• Seal40k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: I reworked most of the Topology. The Tris count is now down to 9k instead of 17k: