Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Axe - Weapon modelling practice.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
And it's finally finished.

-----

Starting out another folio peice. A SciFi+gothic Weapon.
first off is the concept art that I finished yesterday.
different Silhouettes I was trying out. The bottom one kinda fell more on the lines of what I wanted. It's a trick weapon like in bloodborne. In terms of art-direction the idea is to make  something that is a blend of sci-fi and bloodborne.

and the concept art. with colors and materials.

and today I did a basemesh, just to checkout bugs with the concept and the over all form. some parts need detailing but I am gonna start the hi-rez mesh now and detail those parts when I get to them.

comments and critiques are welcome.

Replies

• DavidCrane3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCrane3D polycounter lvl 5
    I love the concept. Totally digging the sci-fi / Bloodborne aesthetics. This is totally something I would've wanted in Gears of War. Cliffy B would be proud.  My question is: Is this a one-handed axe or are both hands needed? If its a one hand axe, I feel as if the placement of the hand pads should be significantly lower so that the user can get maximum power from the swing. If it's a two handed axe, I think that it will be difficult for the user to use because their hands can't slide down to the throat of the axe, thus losing significant power in a swing. So, I would still suggest lowering where the grip is. I also don't think it needs a carrying handle, I feel like that would get in the way in the middle of battle. Just my opinion though.

Do you plan on making the end knob / swell of your axe like a bayonetta or is it pointed like that for aesthetic purposes?
  • Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don't you just hate it when someone makes a valid argument :D
    yeah I think you are right about grip placement I will check again with my reference (mainly bloodborne) and will fix it based on that.
    THough, am really glad you liked it, stay tuned! :)
  • Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DavidCrane3D moved the handle a bit down, I think this is good now.

• CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    I feel like the handle of the axe is a bit anemic for how large the head is. I dont know the bloodborne aesthetic but it seems a bit odd to have the "handguard" in-front of the main handle.
  • DavidCrane3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCrane3D polycounter lvl 5
    @Mehran Khan Yes! I think that looks much more natural. I can't wait to see this progress. Keep it up and keep us updated!!  :smiley:
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Looking cool! design wise you should consider bulking up the connection points at base and top of the blade to ground it more with the handle given you have chainsaw ( motor vibrations) that might create metal fatigue over time after use on enemies.
    I would also suggest removing the hole from base connection area and make it dual wielding chainsaw axe !!!!! :D
  • Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well the last 2 weeks were hell, first I fell sick, later I got caught up in family issues and now saturdays  are ON at work because we have to prep for release. Anyway here is an update on the hi-rez, It's almost done, but I think I should model the insides as well (that's gonna hurt).