[WIP] Victorian/steampunk environment

keyframe

Replies

  • NikhilR
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry keyframe
    Thanks alot :) I was trying to find the quickest way but had already settled to the fact that i'm gonna do polygon modeling since that has more control over zbrush sculpting and retopologising. And an ornamental kit is an all-time valuable asset to one's library so i am taking my time making these. I was thinking that people might actually want someone who does 3d for years, just for the fact that you would have some assets like that already made, increasing your speed at work
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Larry, good start, I think your cieling seems rather low and the sense of space or scale seems odd. try getting your camera height at about 1.8meters to test being a 6ft person in the room and then compare that to your reference materials - they seem to have grand looking high cielings. Also just scatter a few default human sized models around the room to see if the scale makes sense eg the floorboards might be too large, I cant tell. This is indeed a good opportunity to make a nice ornamental trim sheet.
  • defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger greentooth
    Personally I find it easier to focus on some objects first like chandelier, chair, couch and make them shine. Then gradually move towards textures / tileable ornaments and build the environment around that.

    Please put dummy characters in for size reference!!

    When taking screenshots position the camera 1.8m above floor (eye-level).
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry keyframe
    @defragger
    @Ged
    Got it! The materials are already premade from ue4 but i'm gonna make my own at a later stage.
    Ged you are correct that is something i noticed later on, after i made those modular walls. Currently the ceiling is 3m high to be honest,but i'm gonna sort out from the reference about how tall those mansions are and definatelly remake these things!
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry keyframe
    finally finished with the blockout, i made alot of ornaments for this one,and the textures in SD.This will propably be the final layout. I could propably do things a bit better for efficiency, but since i'm at home, i can get away with it. All lighting is static and will be improved as i introduce more props


    I also propably need to start making some translucent materials for dem hats.
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry keyframe
    Started some furniture props. At this point i thought i'd make a test map to build lighting on each object individually, and i am not baking the whole scene every time.
    model


  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry keyframe
    a couple more props
    I want to make this rose look directly in the camera wherever you go, so i probably have to learn about blueprints at some point!

    model


    one side of the room starts getting filled... Damn i think this project is rather big :P
  • Larry
  • ivaanoz
    Offline / Send Message
    ivaanoz polycounter lvl 3
    Looks good. I have a question though: that chesterfield chair, isn't it a little bit highpoly? I'm actually kind of struggle with polycount myself on those objects like table or chair - is there any good rule about polycount? Would you share number of polys for your chair? And texture size also?
  • The_Maw
    This is looking really nice so far, just one thing I can suggest is that its really easy to spot the tiling of the wood floor. This might not be as much of an issue when there’s more props in the scene covering it but it may be something to keep an eye on.
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry keyframe
    ivaanoz said:
    Looks good. I have a question though: that chesterfield chair, isn't it a little bit highpoly? I'm actually kind of struggle with polycount myself on those objects like table or chair - is there any good rule about polycount? Would you share number of polys for your chair? And texture size also?
    Thank you guys for your interest in my project! 
    @ivaanoz ;
    That chesterfield chair was hard for me to make, as it was my first piece of that kind.That specific prop was entirely made in 3ds max, i retopologised it by hand to see if i could do a better job than an automatic retopo in Zbrush. Turns out, it's about the same polycount, but when you do it yourself, you can do a better job , on where to place more detail and where not to. Tricount for that chair is 4368, i could reduce it further but i wanted to keep the holes in the chesterfield itself. It can be brought down to less than 3k, depending on platform, angle etc. The texture is 2k, it can easily be 1k but i wanted those kind of furniture to show better detail up close, as your eye tends to pay more attention to such props
    Below is another chair i made and i retopologised automatically in zbrush and it did not do a very good job for the sculpted detail, and it's at 8380 triangles.
    By the way, you can click on "model inspector" button in the bottom right, and then top left there are some colors for the wireframe if you want to check them more in detail! You can clearly see the difference in an automatic retopo, first of all the loops are straight xD and they are evenly distributed, as when you do it manually, you can just make wider gaps in some areas to save polycount! Also, manually retopo takes a bit less than a whole afternoon, whereas automatic takes about 5 minutes
    model

    @The_Maw thank you for the observation, i will keep that in mind at the end, but yes you are correct. I was looking at my parquet floor when doing the texture, and the parquet even though it looks like wood, it's not, and is a man-made repeatable drawn pattern. But since you said it, i might check those macro-variations and decals at ue4 to break the pattern at some point :)
Sign In or Register to comment.