Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

What to improve and on what to focus next?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
LukasG polycounter lvl 2
Hello to all polycount dwellers, hope you all are having a great day :smile:
Basically I would like to ask for feedback and/or improvement suggestions on my most recent drawings.
I feel like they could still be improved but just not sure how to approach them. I don't ask for feedback often especially in forums like polycount. Feels intimidating posting stuff up considering the quality of work that is shown around these parts. But if you stumble upon this I would love to hear some words or sentences on how to improve my work.

Dragon ball Super -  Fan art -Jiren v Goku- (Been a fan of dragon ball for longer than I can remember)

This one I chose because I wanted to make an 80's motel horror flick. About kids watching a horror movie.

Would appreciate if you guys could give me pointers on what I should focus to improve my work quicker. Anatomy, Composition, Lighting, Contrast, Design etc. Thanks for having a look!

Scroll on!

Replies

• ArtofHaakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello LukasG, I would recommend researching some Anatomy and doing form studies..What I find to be best for pure learning is to keep things within gray-scales to improve hues and saturation of colors to create more depth in your paintings.
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    @LukasG I'd be interested to see your sketchbook. To me, it looks like what you need right now is just lots of study drawings. So I'd like to see what you're doing for studies. As far as these two paintings, the compositions are shallow. So that's something to work on, but I'd really rather see those sketches. :) Keep plugging away!
  • LukasG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LukasG polycounter lvl 2
    @ArtofHaakon Thanks for having a look and the tip. I haven't done any recent anatomy or form studies, but am thinking on doing multiple short 15-30 minute study sessions on different poses and lighting. B)

@EricElwell Thanks for dropping in and for the feedback. Here are some of my old studies that I've done a few years back and some composition and contrast quick studies I've done not too long ago. I haven't recently done any study drawings and more drawing out my own concepts. Are there any particular studies you would advise to do and how to do them ? I was thinking of maybe doing a master class as well. Any tips would be great. :s Cheers!

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Ok, lets try something I haven't done before.
    This is just my personal evaluation, and should really be taken with a grain of salt.  

I tried to visualise some of the basic pillars of art into a chart:

as you can see lighting and storytelling is probably your strongest suit in my opinion, and design your worst, seeing as one of your pieces is fan art and the other has some really poor design choices (for example the monsters right arm that just a random thing).

the overall thing to take in is that though you are on average around half way there, you need to improve on everything.
    it doesn't really matter what you focus on to be honest.

you are at that stage when you just need to draw a lot and really get those 10 000 hours in.
    anyway, your half way there (yey!) good luck, keep drawing and keep posting!
  • LukasG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LukasG polycounter lvl 2
    @lotet thank you very much for giving me a bit of your time and feedback. Haha, I actually agree mostly with your chart. I have given the past couple of years to learn 3d game art pipelines and I have left my drawing on the side. Now in order to improve my work, I want to improve on all of those aspects so I would be able to incorporate them within my 3d scenes as well.