Home Technical Talk

About UV mapping, best practices

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
rage288 polycounter lvl 7
Ive been doing this shit (3d gameart) for about 15 years now and lately there is a thing that bothers me. Making UVS is slow as fuck.
Im primarily a hard surface artist working for videogames and it bothers me that I may spend a whole day making UVS for an asset, say, a machinegun.
I use 3ds max basically for UVS with PolyUnwrapper 4.2.7 and my workflow is usually as follows:

Once I have all the parts of the low poly with correct smoothing groups I auto unwrap them using "Flatten by smoothing group" Relax, do some tweaking by hand maybe weld here and there then correct the smoothing groups in the low poly with "Set smoothing groups from shells" either with Polyunwrapper tool or with a script I have lying there for eons. I do that for all the objects, then select them all (all the ones that will share a textureset), apply unwrap again and do the arranging and scaling of the islands (shells) by hand, because sometimes some parts need less res than other specially on fps guns and because the "Rescale elements" tool in unwrap is broken when u have several objects withe the same modifier.

I find this process tedious and very slow, but thats the way im doing it for ages :/
Now my question is: Are there better tools/workflows? Ive seen some colleagues use UV layout and have used it myself a couple of times but I feel I lack the control I have in max when im optimizing uvs using mirror and/or overlapping and different scales. The pack uvs feature is a charm I admit but it packs all your shit all over the place. I tend to pack it making some kind of sense: trigger here, receiver here, grip here, and so on.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated! :)
Sorry for the long post

Cheers!

Replies

• rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone? Did I missed the same discussion elsewhere? HALP? :pensive:
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I've gotten some pretty nice results using 3dCoat. Its got pretty interactive feedback, and packs uvs pretty intelligently. 
  • rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Ive seen a coworker using it and its prety interactive, I should give it a try. Did u used it for hard surface?
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    For the first time like 3 days ago haha. I'm making a robot right now and wanted to try it out. It worked pretty well. NO weapons as of yet though. 
  • tommy39
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tommy39 polycounter lvl 6
    I too use 3d Coat for UVing when doing stuff like weapons and vehicles its pretty nice to see the results on the fly and found it relatively fast to unwrap and pack. Although im still not sure how to handle instances from max to 3dCoat that I want overlapping 
  • TTools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TTools polycounter lvl 4
    Have you tried TexTools with Roadkill?
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/textools-toolbox-for-the-texture-artist
      A lot of the 3ds Max guys I work with swear by it. The LSCM method of unwrapping is particularly effective for hard surface objects as opposed to ABF.  I used to swear by RoadKill in Maya until Autodesk released their Bonus Tools with AutoUnwrap.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyhwoZTrB_s
    Roadkill via TexTools will at least give you even texel density distribution to start with and allows you to do the setup work right in Max.  I also don't particularly care for "leaving" the primary application to 3rd party software.
    As far as scaling UVs appropriately to compensate for FPS weapon foreshortening, I've always found I just needed to do it manually to ensure square pixels over the length of the weapon.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Max's peel and relax tools are solid enough that you don't need roadkill imo. 
    Textools has some really useful features though so is definitely worth a look.

To be honest though, it sounds like OP has pretty much peaked as far as technique goes - I'd be willing to bet that 80-90% of that day spent doing UVs is on layout rather than getting a decent unwrap.
    Short of autolayout tools I can't really see where you're going to make any significant time savings. 
    Maybe it's worth using autolayout tools on logical sections of the object and combining them for full layout later?

Oh, and just cos it wasn't mentioned I find UV groups to be very useful.  I tend to pack related UVs into rectangles, group them and then lay out the groups.  Saves a lot of titting around with sections etc. 
  • rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    Oh, and just cos it wasn't mentioned I find UV groups to be very useful.  I tend to pack related UVs into rectangles, group them and then lay out the groups.  Saves a lot of titting around with sections etc. 

Have to try those UVGroups myself. i did when they first came out but never used them again, have to try them out a second time. Thx!
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    I think you're already doing it pretty optimal, packing is probably the step which can be automated in a robust way. Maya has a good packer now - the Houdini one looks promising as well.

To make it less of a chore I try to unwrap pieces as I go, so I don't have a huge lowpoly without uvs at all. I even throw in a test bake here and there to keep the problems small.

But to be honest I find uving pretty quick in contrast to modeling/shading.
  • rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just saw this one on the webs, looks absolutely Unreal!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqHM8WRnSkM

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    ok that's pretty damn rad rage. I gotta look into that more.
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    That does look awesome. I'm curious which studios have adopted that software into their pipeline. Im grabbing that demo right now!
  • csprance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    csprance polycounter lvl 13
    IPackThat is pretty sweet as well. This way you only need to unwrap, relax and then run iPackthat
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Isn't ipackthat now unsupported?
    It's also slow - unfold 3d is super fast.

Unfold3d has been integrated (partially) into maya since 2017 so I'd say quite a lot of studios are taking advantage of it.