Home Technical Talk

ZBrush Custom UI: The Missing Documentation

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
the_old_ben polycounter lvl 5
I did an overhaul of my ZBrush UI last month and when I had moved all the elements around to my liking, I felt like doing a color variation that looked a little less like an unlit basement storage cabinet. That was when I noticed the information about what color swatch colors which Interface Element is... let's say, "a little lacking".

So I compiled a breakdown of what goes where, how the palette is structured, because there actually IS a method to the madness and added a couple of notes on the idiosyncrasies of the coloring scheme. I hope this will speed up other's efforts. 

If anybody finds any inaccuracies or has anything to add, let me know.

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Wow, this is actually super helpful, I re-did the colors of my interface a few days back, basically had to trial and error my way trhough :/ would have loved to have this then :)
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    This is amazing! Thanks for sharing the info! I love to customize my software but color scheme is one of the thing that usually we just need to guess what means what (even on the Windows OS customization itself) so this definitely will help!
  • the_old_ben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What would be really cool having a panel with all in the interface elements listed next to one another when recoloring, so you could see them all while you change the colors. As it is, all there is is the interface and there is no possible way to preview changes on things like the ZModeller Menu or the Quick Info boxes or the like. Is there a way to drop Pixologic a feature request somehow?
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Well I guess you can submit a ticket at support.pixologic.com, someone surely will direct you to the correct place.
  • the_old_ben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I asked nicely. Let's see how this one turns out.
  • the_old_ben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a short email exchange with Paul Gaboury. I sent him a quick mockup of what I felt could be done to improve the re-coloring interface, and what he wrote back was:
    Aww yes. Great thought. I will add this to my list of items to discuss with the rest of the development team. I can guarantee that we will be able to implement anything but I will be bringing it up in development discussions.

So here is hoping. To be honest, with the hundreds of vaiations people have created, it would not be a big deal if nothing were to change, but still, here's hoping something does.