Home Technical Talk

[Photogrammetry] How do you make your roughness maps?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
rexo12 interpolator
First off, this might be in the wrong subforum and I apologise if it is, this seemed like a better place that the Substance forum.

So I've made an attempt at making a PBR material from photogrammetry data, following sebvhe's tutorial (https://gumroad.com/sebvhe). Everything went pretty smoothly (and i was actually getting kind of excited to see the end result) - perfect bakes, decent tiling and I guess some alright balancing. But, everything fell apart with the roughness map. I have no idea how I'm supposed to isolate specific elements of the albedo in order to mask out the roughness, especially when the colours are very similar across the texture. 
Here's my albedo map after balancing/delighting (i did a little bit more in substance), As you can see it's going to be very difficult to isolate the rocks through colour selection. I tried using the heightmap and making a mask using a height threshold, 
But, the grass is on the same level as the majority of the rocks which means that they get the same roughness value applied. Heightmap looks a little weird because it's been dropped from 16bit to 8bit - but looking at it now it does seem too uniform, so maybe i'll rebake that.

So what's the process to making the roughness? The tutorial mentions using the curvature map to help but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Is it really as simple (and tedious) as just hand masking out the areas you need?

In the end I just chucked a water filter over it and called it a day, which looks alright, but I'd like to recreate the original material as it appeared on my camera.