Home Technical Talk

Sunset Overdrive - UV mapping tips for 3ds max?

mobpapst
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
mobpapst polycounter lvl 4
Hey there,

attached below is the link to the great breakdown (most of you know this i'm sure) from Morten Olsen (Sunset Overdrive) where he uses mostly trim sheets and tileable to build the whole world.

I would like to know if there is any great tool for 3ds max to place the uvs exactly at the border of the bevel like he's showing it (page 32 and 33) or does i would need to place every piece by exactly by hand?

Another question is how to get exactly the 45 degree normal bevels hes using and with what program you would create the normal maps (especially when it comes to damaged parts at the corners etc)

i'm glad for some great answers.

Link:
https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1022324/The-Ultimate-Trim-Texturing-Techniques

cheers

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    You can enable pixel snapping.
    And
    You can lay out your texture sheet so the borders are at known locations and you can type in uv positions

If you're painting by hand  then simply pick the values off a bake. 
    Any standard method of overlaying normals will work. 
    I've got substance tools set up so I can build panels of any size with the right bevels - it didn't take long to work out. 

The downside to this technique imo is that you always end up with shit seams if you view your objects close up - you can see it in the pdf. Not a problem if you know your camera distances but it's not ideal for an FPS. 
  • mobpapst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobpapst polycounter lvl 4
    hey poopipe,

thanks for the cool advides. could you maybe show me how to set this up in substance?
  • ninetitle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ninetitle polycounter lvl 8
    I would also be interested @poopipe.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    A simple example would be to plug a shape into a distance node and that into a normal node

If you set the distance to 10 and the normal intensity to 10 you'll get a 45degree angle (at 2048)