Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Need advice on cutting down demo reel length

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
Hey,

I'm putting my demo reel length and trying to get my first game job. I feel like 3 mins is a little long right now. Half of that reel is showing the mocap stuff.

Anyone have any advice on which shots don't hold up? It's tricky because the mocap stuff is taking up a lot of the time and you need time to show off that stuff effectively.

Replies

• Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
    I think showing off the Mocap stuff, the shot with the Raw data and the final clip should suffice. The break down would be nice to have somewhere on your site available if they wish to view it more. As you said 3 minutes is super long for a reel. I imagine half way through recruiters or people hiring would turn off. 

I would also personally cut out the second shot. It is just the first shot from different angles. The first shot feels nice and dynamic, you have shown the shot off really nicely already, probably no point repeating it :)

Same with the hero shot, throwing the missile. It just doesn't feel up to the standard of the rest of the reel the timing on the throw feels very even. 

Finally you could probably shorten the in engine shot at the end. Its good you have it in there, shows you can take an animation from concept right to implementation but it doesn't need to be almost a minute long. Even just 10 seconds of her walking, to a run to the weapon check at the end would show you know your stuff.

Take what I say with a pinch of salt since it is much better than my reel but just my personal opinion. 

Good luck shrinking this down. I would say from what I have been told not much longer than 1 minute 30 seconds is a good target. 
  • Mannykins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mannykins polycounter lvl 7
    I agree with the above, covers most of the ways to adress the length of your reel.

To push it further, I'd be more concise with your breakdown. Quicker cuts on the mo-cap stuff, show the in-engine stuff with more structure, less running around. Also, Have the shotgun walk without the gradual cut in of each camera angle, and loop it for three to four cycles.
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The in-engine stuff is a bit difficult to have it more structured. It's VERY early prototyping, it's more of a "Hey, I'm thinking about this stuff and I'm willing to learn the technical side of game dev."

I think I will cut down the in-engine stuff down to half the length and get rid of the mocap breakdowns and have it on a separate vid on my Vimeo channel. See where I'm at then. maybe around the 2 min mark and then I will see if I can take a shot or two out.

EDIT - Managed to get it down to just under 2 mins with just cutting the second shot.

Thanks.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    you could adjust the camera a bit to include the dummy for the opening sequence. that way you don't need to show it twice, and it shows your eye for cinematography at the same time.
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    AGoodFella,
    I think you could cut down the first shot a lot by not showing it twice. I think of the two, the first one is stronger. Also I'm not a fan of the in air circular spin type motion, I would cut that segment entirely. The super hero landing is fine
    I would cut the sword and sheild run
    cut the rifle walk
    keep the take down, I think this is one of your strongest pieces 
    Cut out all of the "passes" stuff on the mocap data, just show the final one and if you want show the before, but do it simultaneously, don't make me watch it multiple times
    Cut the end segment in the engine WAYYYYYYYYYY down, given that it's early WIP you may want to remove it entirely honestly, but that's up to you. 

Anyway, I hope that helps, Best of luck, I'm looking forward to seeing v2.0
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for your feedback, it can be tough to cut your own work out after you've spend hours on it.

Anyway, here is V2. Cut out the second shot, removed the run, replaced the walk with a better one, cut down the mocap and in-engine stuff. Got to a nice 1:45.

• Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
    @AGoodFella Definitely feeling the new version, doesn't go on for too long. The pieces are solid. 

Awesome work! 
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    2.0 is definitely better, I think if you shot for 1 minute your reel would be much stronger for it

I would cut super man and the rifle girl walk, and the knife pull. If you're going to keep the dog, I would at least fix the bouncing ball (or get rid of the ball entirely, I don't think you need it) right now it feels like it sticks as it hits the ground, just brings the whole shot down
    Overall I think it's much better than v1.0 though

• Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Good job! I agree with everyone for the superman shot. Good luck job hunting :)!
  • WeatherMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WeatherMan polycounter lvl 6
    You should still cut out the Superman throwing the missile shot. It's tough to nail weight and force in a shot like that, and it's imo your weakest piece. And your reel is only as strong as your weakest piece. We can all appreciate having to cut stuff that we've worked so hard on but that's part of getting better (:

Good luck.
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took the feedback, cut it even shorter. Fixed the ball. Hopefully I can land a junior/entry level job with this.

Since I got comments from a few people that the Superman shot could be better, I think this is a perfect opportunity to learn more about my own work. If you don't mind, what exactly about the shot is weaker. I think the throw could be better, I see some funky knee stuff. I could probably smooth out some spacing issues and get even more weight into the shot.

Is there anything specific?

Cheers.
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    way better!
    For me, the superman shot was kind of strange how he enters, judging by his landing, he landed from a high position. Instead of doing that noticeable curve at the beginning I think it would have helped to have it more linear in my opinion.

Also when he goes back after launching the rocket it seems that 2 people were holding each arm and moving superman back :P ( like those Japanese programs with people in black suits and black background) I guess it would have been immediate the flying after the rocket launch and not so much preparation
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow said:
    way better!
    For me, the superman shot was kind of strange how he enters, judging by his landing, he landed from a high position. Instead of doing that noticeable curve at the beginning I think it would have helped to have it more linear in my opinion.

Also when he goes back after launching the rocket it seems that 2 people were holding each arm and moving superman back :P ( like those Japanese programs with people in black suits and black background) I guess it would have been immediate the flying after the rocket launch and not so much preparation
    Thanks dude. I think when he walked back, I didn't want it to be a smooth walk back.The rocket is heavy so I wanted a stop start motion. But I see your point. 

Do you think I am good enough for a junior/entry level position?
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    I only have experience being present at feature film studios and don't know the level of junior/entry for video games since all the work I am doing for video games is freelance. but I don't see any problem finding a job with that reel man :O I really think you have a chance :)  goodluck!
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Looks solid man. The little head motion after Lisa lands adds a lot of character.
    For the mocap and UE4 clips, I'd build out the UE4 level a little more to a graybox level and show more of the final cleaned motions in UE4. You could inset the raw motion as a pic-in-pic like the recent series of Uncharted Lost Legacy reels. Also gives good impetus to author some additional animations like jump/vault, firing, and cover animations to round out the anim set.
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito said:
    Looks solid man. The little head motion after Lisa lands adds a lot of character.
    For the mocap and UE4 clips, I'd build out the UE4 level a little more to a graybox level and show more of the final cleaned motions in UE4. You could inset the raw motion as a pic-in-pic like the recent series of Uncharted Lost Legacy reels. Also gives good impetus to author some additional animations like jump/vault, firing, and cover animations to round out the anim set.
    Thanks man. 

The Unreal stuff is super tricky. I would love to have a more robust system but I felt overwhelmed even with the simple set-up in my reel. I didn't know how to diagnose any issues I came across. So right now, I'm starting from the super basics and I'm going to take it really slow and try to understand how Unreal works. Start with more simple blueprint set-ups and try to make up a situation, e.g, a character enters through a door which triggers and explosion or an event. Then I can gradually ramp up in complexity.

I'm hoping that the employer realises that I'm willing and actively trying to learn the technical side. I rarely see in-engine stuff in reels so I'm hoping that even having something simple in my reel gives a few extra brownie points.

• WeatherMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WeatherMan polycounter lvl 6
    I would recommend just showing the animation engine stuff and having a separate breakdown reel showing all the blueprints and whatnot. As for learning UE4 blueprints, best advice I can give is learn as much as possible from YouTube and experimenting. There's not a ton of animation specific tutorials but you can piece together a lot of information from what is available and knowing broad concepts such as logic flow and how the blueprints communicate
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would recommend just showing the animation engine stuff and having a separate breakdown reel showing all the blueprints and whatnot. As for learning UE4 blueprints, best advice I can give is learn as much as possible from YouTube and experimenting. There's not a ton of animation specific tutorials but you can piece together a lot of information from what is available and knowing broad concepts such as logic flow and how the blueprints communicate
    Thanks for the advice.
  • ajramsey28
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajramsey28 triangle
    Good luck on the job hunt!!! I like the first scene it makes me think of Final Fantasy XV. :D I think the reel flows pretty well, its interesting and its motivating me to work harder because my reel is no where near as good as yours. haha
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good luck on the job hunt!!! I like the first scene it makes me think of Final Fantasy XV. :D I think the reel flows pretty well, its interesting and its motivating me to work harder because my reel is no where near as good as yours. haha
    Cheers dude. I'm still a beginner myself so I still have tons of room to grow.
  • MamoruK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MamoruK polycounter lvl 9
    this is just a small critique that could make the dog better. have the dog skid a little bit when it's starting to run. like have you ever seen a dog get really excited when it starts to chase something that's been thrown and it's trying to get traction on the ground? Juts something that i think would add a bit more character to that specific piece. :)

Otherwise great stuff man :)
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MamoruK said:
    this is just a small critique that could make the dog better. have the dog skid a little bit when it's starting to run. like have you ever seen a dog get really excited when it starts to chase something that's been thrown and it's trying to get traction on the ground? Juts something that i think would add a bit more character to that specific piece. :)

Otherwise great stuff man :)
    Hmm, interesting idea. Thanks for the note.