Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New To Polycount!

Kingish
null
Offline / Send Message
Kingish null
Have been assigned a task to complete 6 tiling textures 3 sci-fi and 3 fantasy , please give me feedback :) 

Replies

• Unknown_Target
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unknown_Target polycounter lvl 6
    Hey,

They look OK, but it's kind of hard to tell with the lighting. Can you add some fill lights to increase the overall clarity of the scenes?
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter

First, for your spheres, increase the tiling, else it makes them look stretched. Just go to the menu material > edit and up the tiling by something like 3. I’d also suggest figuring out how to turn on height with tessellation for your material renders.

The first one I can’t tell what the texture is meant to be.

The second one looks neat, might be nice with a little bit of dirt somewhere. Good job on this!

The third one would look nicer with the geometry on the rounded cube instead of the regular cube. Would be cool to see some scratches. This is your best one so far in my opinion.

The fourth one looks like frosted stone. The grout between the tiles/rocks looks a bit like rubber. Like the first, I can’t actually tell what this material is meant to be. I’m guessing stone tiles.

The fifth one needs a rework. Are you using tessellation? I’d add some height to it. Floor boards aren’t usually this rough; I’d tone down the normal on the wood grain. The space between the planks also just looks like flat black lines. It looks like the colour patterns go from plank to plank, which is not how planks are laid. I’d suggest learning how to use the vector warp in combination with a gradient map. There’s actually a youtube tutorial from Allegorithmic which goes over making wood planks, and it would help you out greatly to watch this.

The last one is far too shiney. Turn up the roughness for the stones more. The stones are also really clean, grunge em up a lot!

Keep on practicing and keep posting your stuff!