Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Samurai

null
Offline / Send Message
Msta null
Hi, this is my first 3d character. Can you critique please?

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/eoYAD

Replies

• jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    not bad for a first character,

Here are some things that stand out to me:
    1) the logos on the arm are very very light, I actually thought that they werent there, till the 3rd time i looked at your image.  Make them a bit darker so they read a bit better, you should be able to see them when you squint
    2) what is the purpose of this character?  For a game? For a still?  That will inform how you want to handle your topology and poly count 
    3) I would add some sort of color variation on the pants and armor, right now everything is the same base color, i think it would help add some interest to those parts of your model

Keep it up!

• Domslice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Domslice polycounter lvl 8
    Very cool source material - you did a good job of honoring the design. An ambitious beginning dude!

2) what is the purpose of this character?  For a game? For a still?  That will inform how you want to handle your topology and 
    poly count 
    I would echo this point too. You might find issue when trying to rig and animate areas such as the arms where the armour plating is far less dense than the underlying geo. Seems like alot of your components are crashed together too, so the above also applies to those areas.

The edge flow of the baggy pants also seems like its come right out of z-remesher. Some nice parallel lines banding the knees/ankles could help with deformation. Again, try and keep it consistent, i.e. on the boots too.

Some areas appear arbitrarily high-poly, like the swords, or the sash and other dangly bits. If you're worried about maintaining the appearance of soft transitions and smooth edge you can get alot of that with your map bakes. 

Lastly I'd love to see some more beauty shots! Maybe a final hi-res turnaround and prop breakout with some of the 2d design elements from your source material. 

Can't wait to see what you do next, grats'!
  • Msta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Msta null
    not bad for a first character,

Here are some things that stand out to me:
    1) the logos on the arm are very very light, I actually thought that they werent there, till the 3rd time i looked at your image.  Make them a bit darker so they read a bit better, you should be able to see them when you squint
    2) what is the purpose of this character?  For a game? For a still?  That will inform how you want to handle your topology and poly count 
    3) I would add some sort of color variation on the pants and armor, right now everything is the same base color, i think it would help add some interest to those parts of your model

Keep it up!

Thanks for every thing that you noticed! I will think about it.
    This model I did for render. But I think If some parts(belt, pants,armor on chest) I will make more lowpoly I get model for Gamedev?
    Thanks a lot for your attention! 
  • Msta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Msta null
    Domslice said:
    Very cool source material - you did a good job of honoring the design. An ambitious beginning dude!

I would echo this point too. You might find issue when trying to rig and animate areas such as the arms where the armour plating is far less dense than the underlying geo. Seems like alot of your components are crashed together too, so the above also applies to those areas.

The edge flow of the baggy pants also seems like its come right out of z-remesher. Some nice parallel lines banding the knees/ankles could help with deformation. Again, try and keep it consistent, i.e. on the boots too.

Some areas appear arbitrarily high-poly, like the swords, or the sash and other dangly bits. If you're worried about maintaining the appearance of soft transitions and smooth edge you can get alot of that with your map bakes. 

Lastly I'd love to see some more beauty shots! Maybe a final hi-res turnaround and prop breakout with some of the 2d design elements from your source material. 

Can't wait to see what you do next, grats'!
    Thanks comrade!
    For Gamedev model, should I add some edges on hands armor, to protect crashes each part together?

"try and keep it consistent, i.e. on the boots too." Do you mean combine pants and boots and make them similar topology?

I hug you for your comment!
  • Domslice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Domslice polycounter lvl 8
    Sure no problem, love that you come here for input! 

Here are some visual aids, from the screengrabs I nicked off your Arstation:

Just some food for thought! Hope it helps duder :mrgreen:

• gadsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gadsby null
    I am simple man, if i see any samurai i will like it.
  • Msta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Msta null
    Yes comrade! Your advises with examples are really help me!
    Thanks a lot!!