Home Unreal Engine

PSVR used as a University learning tool

rFranks
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
rFranks polycounter lvl 2
Hi there,

I work for the University of Wollongong as a 3d generalist creating learning resources for academics and their students and we've created a rough VR demo to be pitched to the academics on campus using the Vive ( http://www.uow.edu.au/cedir/deploy/animations/ue4/LTC_VR_Showcase.mp4 ) but we're thinking the Vive along with a PC is going to be a bit expensive, so we're thinking the PSVR road might be the go.

So before we commit too far, we were wondering what Playstation development was like compared to the Vive?

ie

1) For the Vive you just export out a .exe but is it that easy for the Playstation, ie can we connect it to a pc and export from UE4 straight to the playstaion hard drive (forgive my ignorance I've only ever had a PS1 ) ? Or is they're a more convoluted way of producing for the Playstation (like App development for Apple? ie you have to apply and download their software etc)

2) Is there much editing that a UE4 project needs if it was designed for the Vive but is now needed for a Playstation?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    You need a devkit to run new code, to get one of those you have to ask Sony,  to then get ue4 PS4 working you have to register with epic as a PlayStation developer.

It will not be cheap because the hardware is expensive 

Personally, I'd develop on oculus rather than vive if I was targeting PS4 ,  get it all working and then move to PS4 later if it seems like a sensible idea. 

Re.  The differences... 
    I've developed for all 3 on ue4 but not since 4.13 so things might have changed. 

You can do seated vr with a vive but it's not an entirely natural fit and you have to make a couple of fudges in blueprints (nothing major) The oculus is much closer to psvr in terms of behaviour (its also a lot lighter and easier to take on and off than a vive which is a big thing if you're developing)