Home Technical Talk

Zbrush workflow question

Digipyro
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Digipyro polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys, 

I'm currently working on a character with some semi hard surfaces and wanted to completely stick to Zbrush as a learning exercise (I know i could have done several things easier in max and then detail them later in Zbrush) However as this is my 2nd character I'm running into some of the same issues i had before again and couldn't help but wonder how i could approach this more efficiently / differently.  I'm using Zbrush 4R7

So my workflow generally is to start with a base shape ( cube, sphere, cylinder) make it into a Dynamesh. I mostly use tools such as Clip curve and the famous Orb brushes. 

The biggest issue I'm having is that simple shapes / flat surfaces such as the head in the image under here ( Making a Tau fire warrior from warhammer) takes me a crazy amount of points. 

the reason for this is the picture underneath

Each time i want to make a small adjustment you get these rough edges which i want to be smooth and so far my way of dealing with them has been to divide it further. This wouldn't be a problem if it came down to putting more detail in however since i'm making a full character I already have a character with points in the 1,5 mil + for simple shapes with no detail. Things will eventually slow down and/or crash and retopologizing in ( I.E) max will be impossible. 

I know there's Zremesher but I've somehow never managed to figure out how it works ( meshes just go weird when i play around with it) and there's the option of the decimation master which is nice but completely messing up meshflow.

Could someone shed some light on this ? Even with a few pointers i'd be happy. 

Replies