Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi Asteroid Mining Helmet

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
Hi everyone!

I've never posted for a critique before and I'm here to give it a go. I've already had many of my peers give it a once over, but you guys are much more brutal :smile:

I'm a second-year college student and I'm working towards specializing in video game environment/prop art. This is a helmet I made in response to a challenge from one of my peers. I had one month to concept, model, texture, and present a sci-fi helmet. 

I tried to get that "bee" vibe in there. 
Just a few self-critiques before I leave you guys to it:

-It's around 30,000 tris with around 21,000 verts. This is SUPER high for a prop, and I'm working on my optimization skills in my next project.
-The textures are very symmetrical in places like the front of the mask and the forehead. I was experimenting with overlapping UV's and I got a little carried away.

Shred it up!

Z

Edit: If you want to see the process, my sketchbook has all the pics:

http://polycount.com/discussion/191581/sketchbook-zalek4

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You could probably reduce the polycount to 8k without losing any visual fidelity. Those bumps on the front plate do not need to be modeled into the mask, they probably should be floating. 

There's a lot of edges and loops that should just terminate because they are not adding anything to the shape or silhouette of the model.

The materials and colors could use a lot more attention. There's not any details telling a story or really selling the wear as authentic. Being grungy looking doesn't do enough on its own. Details around screws and bolts, scraps around and in the direction the mask moves. Less grunge under the mask, more grunge and detail around edges, seams, and where there's insets. 

Roughness could use a lot more detail and variation for how worn the helmet is, looks pretty uniform. 
  • Zalek4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks @ZacD ! This was my first attempt at texturing anything and I appreciate the feedback. On my current project I'm really trying to think about how I can tell more of a story through textures, rather than just make it look cool.

The terminating edge loops thing I totally agree with. I'm not super proud of the topology of the mask. When I get a breather I'll for sure take a crack at reducing it more!

The roughness is very uniform indeed. This is mostly because I didn't really understand the different channels behind PBR textures until my time limit was up :neutral:
    Nextime will be different though.

Thanks again!