Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

PLEASE CRITIQUE! My first few projects (40k Grav Gun, t-34 85 tank, Doom Argent tower room)

I Have only been 3D modelling for 1 semester, and I wanted to show a few of the projects I have started to work on. I have never done any form of art before for any length of time, and I have never considered myself to have an aptitude for art, so I am not expecting that these are actually any good.These are all low poly, and all WIP but I hope I can garner some useful critique from this website! I will include the references for the projects that utilized them.

I took some creative liberties with the following project

And finally, some random space ships I made in one of my 1st 3 day game jams

Replies

• CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    the shapes are good and you seem to have a pretty good grasp of the software but you need to learn how to optimize the meshes.
    you can easily remove a lot of unnecessary edges on the meshes youve shown with a wireframe.
    the t-34 is a bit hard to see but the shape looks right and its a good start 
    why is the bed the only mesh with textures?

Just keep practicing, these meshes are a good start :smile:
  • Parker_D_McAdams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bed is the only thing I have textured because I have not taken any classes on texturing yet, and I have only messed around in substance painter long enough to figure out just the bed so far. I will texture everything as time goes on. I am glad they are a good start! I was worried they were shite. I am also somewhat familiar with optimizing meshes, but I was just trying to work on getting the shapes to look right, and I will go and clean up later before I texture.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    The bed is the only thing I have textured because I have not taken any classes on texturing yet, and I have only messed around in substance painter long enough to figure out just the bed so far. I will texture everything as time goes on.
    I highly recommend learning how to texture before waiting on the classes to teach you that.

My memory of school is that you want to be far ahead of the class material. They might dedicate a whole week or month to doing UV map assignments, when you can learn how to texture and set up materials in perhaps 2 or 3 days. You'll want to dedicate as much time to working on your final portfolio.
  • Parker_D_McAdams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, good to know. I do plan on texturing all my projects in Substance Painter when I finish the meshes. I just haven't gotten to that point yet.