Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sculpting and Rendering a likeness would like tips and feedback

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Grey_Rift polycounter lvl 11
Hey Polycount,

I am trying to make a likeness of a friend of mine. Right now I am at the stage where I started doing the pores.
But I thought It might be a good Idea to get some kind of rendering setup going to get an idea how visible the detail is that I am sculpting onto the model.

Right now this is how it looks in Zbrush:

And this is how it looks in Keyshot:

I am still looking for the right kind of setup it is my first time rendering in keyshot so I will need to play around with the setting a bit more.

If anybody wants to give some feedback on the sculpt itself here is some ref from the Original person:

I still have the feeling that I have more detail in Zbrush. I am not sure if this is because of the render setup or because it needs more detail in Zbrush.
I will try to post an update everyday about what I am tweaking to get the right setup.

Right now my following steps are:
  • Try to setup a decent light setup so I can test the extra detail I put on.
  • Continue adding detail into face 
  • Sculpt more detail into pores
  • Do hair

This would be goal I would like to archieve in terms of rendering:

If anyone has any tips or videos I could watch this would be really helpfull. 

Thank you!! :#:#:#  

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Currently your references have a lot of lens distortion  , if you have 100mm camera take a new ones with it or use what ever you have but shot from several meters with zoom and place his face in the middle wont be perfect but will be better then what you have 

About your sculpt :
    Biggest thing that jump out is brow ridge and  eyes relations -> you need a lot more brow ridge and placement of eye is not correct , over all all face features are misplaced 

Videos :
    Burne Hogarth :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m5UZRL4hmw
    or 
    Philippe Faraut: (he have at least 5 different dvds and 2 books about portraiture)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzBs3PM2W_4

• Grey_Rift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @carvuliero
    Thank you for the feedback!!
    I adjusted the sculpt a bit and then continued to work on the pores.
    Here is a side view that has been adjusted.
  • Grey_Rift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I continued to play a little bit with the Render Pretty happy with the result for now. 
    For the Final render will probably play a little bit more with materials and settings. If anybody has some good tips for key shot let me know

• Grey_Rift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keeping the work up I know that I'm posting all of these in one day but these are some progress shots from a few days. It was easier to post them in several messages. So here I continued with adding detail to the pores. I'm overdoing it a bit in Zbrush so I will get the effect keyshot better. 
    I still want to adjust the ears a bit and then finish up the pores. And then move on to the hair.

W.I.P so far