Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Space Control Center

filipblom
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
filipblom polycounter lvl 3
Hello everyone,

I've been working on this environment on my spare time trying to improve my modelling and texturing skills while trying new techniques regarding UE4. I would love to hear some constructive criticism on my work, like things I could do better or things that I could add to my scene.

Cheers! 
:) 

Replies

• aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    Very interesting concept!  I feel like you need a bit more clutter/objects knocked over etc. to really sell the emergency and the story.

Also, the space is just way too large for the amount of assets you've created. I'd take out the whole center window and squash the entire area down to make it feel more closterphobic. Living space is expensive in any space craft and I think that could also help to get you closer to that danger/emergency feel.
  • filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mirzaba said:
    I am really digging this scene. The few things I would change would add a little bit more texture to the various screens and windows, because they aren't exactly giving off that 'screen' vibe. Perhaps horizontal bars on the screen, fingerprint smudges, bringing out microsurface details, something to make it tactile. I see some nicks on the glass, which are a little straight, and the glare distinguishes it as glass in some parts, but not in others where it should. Perhaps increase reflectivity? I would also maybe change the falloff on the ceiling lights cause its a bit bold, but thats mostly just a taste judgement. Overall, pretty kewl scene.
    aclund3 said:
    Very interesting concept!  I feel like you need a bit more clutter/objects knocked over etc. to really sell the emergency and the story.

Also, the space is just way too large for the amount of assets you've created. I'd take out the whole center window and squash the entire area down to make it feel more closterphobic. Living space is expensive in any space craft and I think that could also help to get you closer to that danger/emergency feel.
    Thanks you both. I'll try out your suggestions and see how it looks, I'll keep this post updated with new screenshots :)
  • filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have done some changes to the scene now. Still working on smaller props that will fill out the scene :)

• filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated [19/10/17]

• Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benvox2 polycounter lvl 10
    Great work! I would add a little more surface variation and details. Right now it is a tad too clean. Are you using dynamic or baked lighting?
  • filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benvox2 said:
    Great work! I would add a little more surface variation and details. Right now it is a tad too clean. Are you using dynamic or baked lighting?
    Thanks mate. My materials have some dirt and scratch layers on top, I'll increase them so it doesn't look clean. I'm working with baked lighting.
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    Nice updates! Keep at it, and don't be afraid to shrink the space down even more. It still feels a bit more like an office space on a moon somewhere, rather than a room in a spacecraft... But it depends on what you're after I suppose :)
  • filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated [12/11/17]
    The ceiling lights are now also animated :)

• filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated [20/11/17]

• filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Hi, go to youtube and watch lighting academy session 2.1. I think it will improve your scene by tons
  • filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry said:
    Hi, go to youtube and watch lighting academy session 2.1. I think it will improve your scene by tons
    Thanks! I'll have a look at it :)
  • filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Really having a hard time getting some nice lighting. Is the scene still way to dark?
  • filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Update 4/12/17]

• Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Your scene does not seem to capture very good reflections from those lights, it's seems brightened up through auto exposure and post processing.Especially those red lights, do not reflect to the panels right next to them. The bloom is a bit high as well.Is that an emissive material?You should make that a static light.
    Is this scene just for visual purposes/portfolio? What i would do is, start again with a clean base,place only the main lights and play with the light temperature to give it a slight cold feeling, change the tonemapper to film, add two reflection spheres in the opposite corners with very minimal amount, and definately increase the number of light bounces to at least 20. After all that, i would start playing with ambient occlusion and distance field ambient occlusion.

Work in layers, from main lights to smaller ones, try and think how each layer would look in real life WITHOUT using post processing, and only use post process for drama and enhancement
  • filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    • Updated some parameters on some textures. 
    • Decals added on the floor panels
    • More wires
    • Open desk drawer