Home Adobe Substance

Need Help in baking normal map using Substantial Painter

alex_kim
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
alex_kim polycounter lvl 2

Hello, I am trying to bake normal map using Substantial Painter 2017.2.0
But, I have a problem. And, I spent seven days to fix this; however, all attempt is failed.

This is the mesh that I want to bake. I made it using Maya 2018

And, this is the high poly version.

This is the uv-map for low poly version.

And, this is the high-poly version.

I saved two meshes as .fbx file. And, this is my option value to bake normal map. However, when I bake it...

Nothing happens. I thought that maybe because of "combine" mode. However, even though I changed it...

Nothing is remarkably changed.

I really have no idea why substance painter could not sense the edges at all. 

Any tips or hints?

Replies

• Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Your low poly and high poly, have the exact same shape. A normal map is the "calculated difference" from your high poly to your low poly. You have the low poly, and your high poly is just the same shape, just with more polygons. So there is no difference to calculate a normal map. Also, you do not UV the high poly, you just export and bake. You only make UV's for the object you will put your normal map on. Also i see that your cylinders have 1 smoothing group and the flat surface looks like a round surface. Unless you want something like that, this is not a correct way. You have to learn about smoothing groups when making normal maps!
  • alex_kim
    Offline / Send Message
    @larryrttrivette 

Hello, Larry. Thanks for your advice. I am working on to create hp-mesh for nm map.

However, I have a question. I guess this is the most important one.

Do I must create hp-mesh at all at the first place?

I mean.. why not middle poly for baking normal map? That's what I did last time a.k.a Hello Kitty Pistol. And, that did not cause any issue for normal map, at least.

The purpose of creating hp-mesh is to create better normal map, right? Which means.. if I can create better normal map using middle-p mesh than hp-mesh.. then I think using middle-poly mesh can be best option.

By the way, the difference between middle poly and high poly is... (so far I understood)

middle poly=inserting edges+beveling
    high poly=inserting edges+beveling+Smoothing

• alex_kim
    Offline / Send Message
    I am still working on the cylinder part. Seems like the matter was the bevel function's smoothing angle.

If smoothing angle is 30 degree which is default, it could cause black edge issue. However, if I change value to 45 degree.. and using 
    anti aliasing 2x2 in Substantial Painter... then

A lot better than before :-)

PS - I bake the map using middle poly mesh.

• Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    The purpose of high poly is to bake normal map
    The purpose of nornal map is to have detail without having geometry.
    High poly does not have normal map
    Dont bake normal map if you dont have sculpted detail... I see you trying to make normal maps out of everything, you dont need to.