Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Whale diorama

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ban3bbal000 polycounter lvl 3
Hi guys and gals,

This is my first post here. I'm looking for good, honest critic about my work that's why I registered here. Currently I'm working on these guys. Please feel free to comment any advice, or critics.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Zm2z8

Replies

• jth852
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jth852 polycounter lvl 2
    These whales are great! I haven't studied the anatomy of whales very much but it seems like the wrinkles in the underside of the bigger whale are deeper than the crack where the mouth is closed. Maybe change the geometry to show the separation better in the outline?  It could just be the lighting though.  Either way the surface detail is great and i like how they're posed as well.
  • ban3bbal000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jth852 Thank you. I'm going to make the mouth more defined thanks for the observation. 
  • ban3bbal000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

I created a little underwater scene in the unreal engine to learn the tools and workflows of the engine. I created two different images with different mood and story. I'd like to ask your opinion which one is the better and why? Furthermore, I'd like to ask for critique and comments about the whole work (composition, models, textures, lighting etc).

Thanks guys
  • Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    That is some giant freaking kelp lol. I like the second one even though the scale is off. The theme of the first one is really dark, and really odd. The net adds this depressed trapped theme, but the swimming position wouldn't happen with a net wrapped around. 
  • ban3bbal000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks :). Yeah, I'm working on to fix the scale and the lighting of the scene. I'm really thinking about the net. I'd like to keep it for the theme although I know it's not super realistic this way. 
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Even if i like the colors used in the scene more, i think it lacks of visibility :s maybe playing with light rays could help to keep the attention on the whales? Even if i reaaaally like the idea of gigantic sea weeds i think i would scale them down a bit :D keep it up!
  • ban3bbal000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I reworked the scales of the scene and the lighting. I hope you like it and if you find anything out of place. Feel free to comment. Thanks.