Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bust Sculpting & Anatomy

null
Offline / Send Message
aszecsei null
First time posting anything here - I've only started seriously learning art in the last few months, and this is my second attempt at a character bust. Sculpted & rendered in Blender, no retopo or tertiary details - I'm trying to focus on getting my primary/secondary forms to a decent level first.

Anatomy is definitely my weak point - I can see a number of issues with the eyes and cheeks, but I'm not entirely sure how best to fix them for future pieces. Any critiques or advice you can give would be helpful!

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Do you have reference that you working from ?
    My suggestion for you is to sculpt few skulls first so you have an idea about proportion and forms , then just do few basic head forms , then learn individual features and when you know all of that try again sculpting whole bust 

• aszecsei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aszecsei null
    Do you have reference that you working from ?
    My suggestion for you is to sculpt few skulls first so you have an idea about proportion and forms , then just do few basic head forms , then learn individual features and when you know all of that try again sculpting whole bust 
    Thanks for the advice! I modeled a skull:

I'm going to work on adding more details to the shape next.
  • aszecsei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aszecsei null
    Calling this skull done. I'm sure I could add more detail to certain things (there aren't enough teeth :s), but as this is more to learn feature placement than to learn how to sculpt a detailed skull, I'm okay with where it's at. I'll be doing a few more of these to get faster, then work on individual features, like @carvuliero suggested.

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Good. Now make new skulls; maybe 2-3 more. From scratch. Try to make it better than this one.
  • aszecsei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aszecsei null
    PyrZern said:
    Good. Now make new skulls; maybe 2-3 more. From scratch. Try to make it better than this one.
    Thanks! I'm pretty busy with classes, but my goal is to do at least one sculpt per day. The next few (read: probably two) will be skull studies.

Made this one from ref, without following along with the tutorial:

The tutorial I followed for the previous sculpt didn't include a mouth, so by the time I realized my sculpt really needed teeth, it was a bit late to hollow out the mouth cavity. For this one, since I knew I needed a mouth cavity from the beginning, I could make it look better - I like the way the jawbone turned out, though the teeth look...not great. I'll probably look up resources for sculpting teeth tomorrow, though if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears!

Any further critiques/advice would be appreciated!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Looks a little too ape-like, but, keep going.  After some skulls, you will want to learn of Face Planes before you try to sculpt actual anatomical face.

Make more skulls

• hamzasheraz098
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    share on facebook
  • aszecsei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aszecsei null
    PyrZern said:
    Looks a little too ape-like, but, keep going.  After some skulls, you will want to learn of Face Planes before you try to sculpt actual anatomical face.

Make more skulls

Thanks for the crit! I was super busy yesterday and too tired to make anything worthy of sharing, but the refs you posted have been very helpful. Also just figured out I can hide parts of a sculpt in Blender while sculpting, so I may try playing with the teeth a bit and make them less...janky.

• FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    See, with every skull you do, the next one is always better! ;) Keep at it. Few more skulls and you'll feel more comfortable getting back to sculpting full heads.