Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[PRACTICE] Complex array of multiple "Banana" Shapes in Base Mesh D:

vertex
Offline / Send Message
astraldata vertex
I've got a workflow hang-up with modeling a stylized character shaped out of nothing but "banana" shapes.

My usual method in Blender is using "Subsurface" boxes to model each separate/major part, then "union" them before later sculpting them -- but this mesh creates lots of garbage polys if I union too closely to the flow of the form. This method is great for almost ANY type of organic-looking character, but it has recently brought me to a tricky situation with this stylized character's line of action -- thanks to the broken/garbage polys, I can't seem to maintain the silhouette the way I want to!

My main problem is keeping the nice curve across the entire form (note the 3/4 view's chest going into the hips/legs) -- especially while also keeping the nice sharp points on the digits/ears/etc. while still maintaining nice smooth, continuous curves across the overall form -- especially in the face/ears and torso/legs areas!

I'm at a loss because every shape flows into everything else (which is usually a good thing!), but since this character is so pointy and curvy all over, I'm really not sure where to start with this guy!

Replies

• astraldata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    astraldata vertex
    Anyone got any insights? -- I'm totally lost on how to even approach this... :S
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    you should probably get a black out going before you start worrying about the exact read f the 2D concept. character modeling is an iterative process, make something, then tweak it, instead of trying to get it right the in one go.

also, have you tried sculpting it from scratch instead of box modeling?
  • astraldata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    astraldata vertex
    lotet said:
    you should probably get a black out going before you start worrying about the exact read f the 2D concept. character modeling is an iterative process, make something, then tweak it, instead of trying to get it right the in one go.

also, have you tried sculpting it from scratch instead of box modeling?

If I'm following correctly -- by "blackout" are you referring to turning the entire base mesh black to see how it reads against the 2D art, or are you referring to turning the 2D art into black silhouettes and modelling the base mesh from that?

As far as sculpting from scratch -- I'll have to try again. My brush settings were giving me trouble apparently. I'll keep you posted.
  • astraldata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    astraldata vertex

So I learned a lot about Blender with this guy -- mostly that "Banana" shapes aren't as scary (with a LARGE brush size) as learning all the Transform and Scale BS that comes with Blender.

That said, considering the model sheet was pretty janky and inconsistent (the eye placement... *shudder* ...how do you deal with that kind of crap on a day-to-day basis guys??), I think I managed pretty well on a base sculpting model.

For reference:

Any thoughts/opinions on the final sculpting base-mesh? How about the best way to handle janky model-sheets like this?