Home Adobe Substance

Advice on making isolation wall texture

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
wonkza polycounter lvl 4
I want to make the isolation walls as a textures for a UE4 scene, I don't know how to start or what to use this it's a bit more complex than the textures I'm used to make, would you scult it in zbrush and make a texture out of it? or should I learn designer?  Thanks.

This is my reference

Replies

• rexo12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator
    It's a matter of choice to be honest. You could achieve the same result in either, just different workflow. I'd imagine doing it in substance would probably be a bit harder, especially for a newbie. 
  • LorasTyrell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LorasTyrell polycounter lvl 5
    If you're used to ZBrush you're probably gonna get a better result in it right now. But Designer is an amazing program, and once you've learned it you can create amazing things super fast. I would recommend learning it anyway to be honest! Combining ZBrush and Designer can lead to some super high quality textures, as I'm sure you've seen already
  • wonkza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wonkza polycounter lvl 4
    thanks for the help, I made it in MD was pretty easy actually, it's not exactly foil
     but I'll work on it. 
    But I need to learn Designer you are right, At the moment I'm already learning UE4 and trying to make my first "decent" scene for my portfolio . but my next step is to learn Designer.

A quick test with the Low poly version and just normal+AO looks kinda shite but I'll get better.

• rexo12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator
    This looks pretty alright already, but that kind of material would really benefit from some tessellation heightmapping or parallax mapping, adding that extra depth that these kinds of materials need.