Home Technical Talk

Zbrush, why does it seem random if using edit will work or not?

vertex
Almost pulling my hair out trying to follow videos on literal complete beginner starter steps on zbrush, I have made very simple models of head already, but I am trying to follow the videos, every other minute I am restarting because something has gone wrong and I literally have no idea why.

The main issue is starting zbrush, pull out a 3d sphere, sometimes instantly can press t and edit, other times I have to do the make polymesh3d button, then sometimes after doing that, it doesn't work to press the edit button or pressing T.

Also Ctrl N has only one started a fresh canvas, other times it doesn't do anything, which I think is something to do with Editing and Drawing options?

But in short, losing my mind over trying to follow the simple beginner videos step by step, I do not understand what I am doing different but I have to be doing something different as each time I restart it seems to be random if I can get past the editing part or having the sphere go a darker shade.

I have multiple websites and threads saved to read, but struggling to know which one to start with or which would help currently, love this program but jesus soon as I am trying to learn the tools and how to model properly compared to actually just modelling, it is just making me hate it which is no good:(

Thanks if you can provide help with my issue and if anyone has a free video that they think would be ideal for someone who is starting out please please please link it, I have some paid videos that have been suggested already but want to use the free content as much as possible before paying.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    First, start with this: http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2571163/#Comment_2571163

It is absolutely critical that you understand the difference between the 2d document and the 3d tool. 
    Forget sculpting videos until you first understand that zbrush is basically a 3d model floating on top of a 2d painting program.

Ctrl N has only one started a fresh canvas, other times it doesn't do anything, which I think is something to do with Editing and Drawing options?

Ctrl+N is a 2D shortcut. It only clears the current 2D Document layer of any pixels. If it's not clearing your screen then either:
    • You have pixel information that exists on a separate document layer (check the Layer palette - you only ever need 1 layer for sculpting)

or

• What you're seeing on your screen isn't 2d pixel information at all (ie: a 3d model in edit mode) 

other times I have to do the make polymesh3d button, then sometimes after doing that, it doesn't work to press the edit button or pressing 

If you're pressing MakePolyMesh3D when not in Edit mode, then your last stroke will surely drop out of limbo and be turned to document pixels. There's no real reason to press this if Edit mode isn't already active. 

If you're wondering why you might sometimes have to press this button:
    ZBrush Primitive objects are parametric objects that rely purely on mathematical data to define their shapes, and as such can be shaped on the fly by adjusting their Initialize sliders. Pressing the Makepolymesh3d button will create a brand new polygon mesh derived from the primitive object's current shape. 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Great advice above. One of my mates had a laugh when he heard me say in a video that everytime you click, something happens. That may seem obvious but if you are used to text apps and photoshop wildy clicking around the interface may have no effect, one click in a 2.5d/3d app does.

You are probably unconsciously using hotkey combos. Remember that one click in zbrush can change the state of you model by making a snapshot or dropping the model on exiting edit mode.

Dropping out of edit mode means you will have your model in the viewport (canvas) an every time thereafter you draw another copy of that model. To fix that clear the canvas with Cntrl+N then draw the model out again, let the mouse or pen button loose and click the edit button, or press T. The thing about zbrush is while it is open your model is in the inventory under the tool menu, so you can never loose it. Here is a basic video. Excuse the voice. I had a cold :smile:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omLZ94UcaoM
    Cheerio