Home Adobe Substance

Stone wall problem - could use some suggestions

Zocky
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Zocky greentooth
So, guys (and gals)...i am kinda new to SD somewhat, but still managed to learn something. Now i'm working on some project and, i need to recreate texture based on reference you see below. If it was just regular bricks, sure, but this one has all sorts of different shapes, with HUGE size variation, so i have no idea how to approach this. Whenver i try, i get bricks overlapping each other so....you guys have any suggestions how to approach this? Tnx!

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    The color version of tile sampler etc support alpha blending,  this will help with overlapping. 

To get that sort of distribution you're going to need to use several tile samplers/tile random nodes and composite them together. 
  • LorasTyrell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LorasTyrell polycounter lvl 5
    This has puzzled me a lot too! And it's something I still haven't been able to deal with satisfyingly. You should check up other people's work for reference on this. I've previously looked at this one from Joshua Lynch, and this from Conor Whitstone. 

From what I've been able to gather, you don't use tile nodes for such irregular shapes. What you can do instead is use a splatter node to distribute some squares, then use the distance node to create lines between them.With an edge detect on top of this you get a lot of control over the shapes, the grout between them, and you can easily adjust it by changing how you distribute the squares! It's a great way to generate more interesting patterns, and Allegorithmic has a really great video about it here

I hope this can point you in the right direction :) 
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Hey tnx both of you!

Loras,
    i ended up buying a tutorial, which still helped me a lot, still have study it some more to fully understand all of it but, here's what i managed to came up with so far:

Here's tutorial if you are interested:
    https://gumroad.com/l/wQPX

Biggest helping thing that i learned from this, was (as you suggested), are Distance and Edge detect nodes. But also Pixel size property on node. This allowed me to scale the pattern, but still have it tile.

Will still have to put a lot of time into SD, i still have tons of problems getting a lot of pattern that are rather specific. But hey, slowly, we'll get there. :P

Tnx again for help and will check those links for sure!

• aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    I like what you've ended up with so far, keep at it!