Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhammer : Gotrek Gurnisson sculpt ( miniature )

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Edgar T interpolator
Hi guys,

This time I'll try a different stuff to expand my knowledge about 3d printing, and I will do it sculpting one of my favourites characters in the Warhammer world: Gotrek Gurnisson, the Slayer Dwarf.

This is what I have so far. C&C are really wellcome!

Replies

• Edgar T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edgar T interpolator
    Little update.

Tweaking boots, some anatomy, face and blocking a bit more the beard.

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    He doesn't seem big enough for Gotrek.

Gotrek is huge, even by dwarf standards, his arms being described as being "like tree trunks". He is, after all, the current living incarnation of Grimnir, a god.

That said, i understand the limitations of proportion and printing, especially for miniature scale. His pose could definitely be a bit more dominating though.
  • Edgar T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edgar T interpolator
    @almighty_gir I know what you mean. I had read a lot of descriptions in the books ( I'm right know starting the 11th and is amazing :) ), but considering that a dwarf with his height and arms like barrels or trunks could be look like a monster more than a dwarf, I stablished a limit before the shape went too off.  Anyway, in most of the official covers, Gotrek only look like a bigger dwarf than his race

This one looks like Gotrek have more flat and less definition in his muscles:

The arms of Gotrek here look like a normal dwarf and I don't like it specially.

And here, his arms look too big and IMO the dwarf shape is lost since he look more like a human than a dwarf.

In this one Gotrek look more like a very standard dwarf and doesn't do justice to the descriptions of the books.

I tried to balance the shape with the descriptions without loosing the dwarf feeling. 

In terms of pose, you're definitely right. I will try to push it a bit more working on the legs, but thinking that I have to balance the weight so the miniature will have a good stability is hard.

Thanks for the feedback.

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I love this character so much. Gotrek is the real winner of The End Times haha.

I think of all the refs you've picked, the third is the kind of muscle mass i'd expect from him. But i agree he's a little tall there (perspective tho...).

I'm really excited to see how this turns out :D
  • Edgar T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edgar T interpolator
    I moved forward the chest to increase a bit the drama on the pose ( thx Joe :) ) but I don't wanna go further than this since the dwarf is at the moment when the blow starts, and the chest should be more vertical than on a charge - rush - onslaught is. In addition, the flexibility and mobility of a dwarf is very restricted by their proportions and I want to capture that cube shape with non-dinamism that this race have.

@almighty_gir I increased the arms a bit considering that the mobility with those muscles could be really poor for a slayer like him :), but you know... it's fantasy so...

Here I have some screenshots from today. Slow but....

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    all cool man!

i would say the facial expression needs to change though, right now he looks scared, not... gruff and determined, the Gotrek i know heh.
  • Edgar T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edgar T interpolator
    @almighty_girWith the expression, I wanted to get some mix between anger and madness ( the main feature of Gotrek ), and I only could achieve this with his eye , so I exageterated a bit. Right now I think is more balanced and looks less angry, but I will see.

The hair is still wip, it's only the beginning of the direction I will take I guess.

Hope you like it :)
  • Edgar T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edgar T interpolator
    Another update!

Cheers!
  • Edgar T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edgar T interpolator
    Calling this one finished. Jumping to the next project!!

Cheers!
  • Missekat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, stumbled across your sculpt, absolutely amazing. Did it ever become a STL file? I would love to purchase and print it!
  • JackSnow008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

incredible work!

just one small problem. Gotrek lost his left eye not his right eye ::)